John Hollinger's PER ratings in the mix

  • roland_beech
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2003
      we just added John's PER ratings to the "production by position"
      team stats, which I think gives an interesting view of how teams are
      doing. The jump page is http://www.82games.com/position.htm

      As an example, looking at the Kings, and taking their team PER at
      the position minus the PER against them at that position they come
      in as:

      PG +6.1
      SG -2.9
      SF +8.2
      PF +1.7
      C +0.9
    • wimpds
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2003
        That's cool. I looked through them and it seems that Minnesota PF
        has the highest rating. Any chance we might see this stat for
        individuals?

        ben

        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "roland_beech" <roland@t...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2003
          wrote:
          > we just added John's PER ratings to the "production by position"
          > team stats, which I think gives an interesting view of how teams
          are
          > doing. The jump page is http://www.82games.com/position.htm
          >
          > As an example, looking at the Kings, and taking their team PER at
          > the position minus the PER against them at that position they come
          > in as:
          >
          > PG +6.1
          > SG -2.9
          > SF +8.2
          > PF +1.7
          > C +0.9

          Roland --

          One of the things that is hard to define in doing basketball analysis
          is position. There are plenty of guys that effectively play one
          position on one side of the court and another on the other. There
          are also the hybrid guys like Pippen, Flip Murray, hell, nearly the
          entire Sonics team is hybrid -- how do you define your positions?

          DeanO
        • roland_beech
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 8, 2003
            > One of the things that is hard to define in doing basketball
            analysis
            > is position. There are plenty of guys that effectively play one
            > position on one side of the court and another on the other. There
            > are also the hybrid guys like Pippen, Flip Murray, hell, nearly
            the
            > entire Sonics team is hybrid -- how do you define your positions?
            >
            > DeanO

            Defining positions is undoubtedly very tricky in some instances, and
            with the zone defenses even more so when trying to allocate
            positional resposibiliy on the defensive side.

            Basically we align a team's roster into who takes precedent at a
            given position if both are on the floor at the same time, but this
            is as you point out suspect on a number of rosters.

            Moreover roles can change within the course of a game.

            Having said that, the basic goal of these numbers is to generalize
            the kind of performance at a position for a team versus the
            counterpart player on the other side. In that regard I think the
            numbers are reasonably effective, particuarly over an 82 game
            schedule.