Re: Best?

  • Jim Armstrong
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 20, 2003
      > >As far as the characteristics of what might describe or predict who
      might
      > >be a good clutch player, I like John C's position (with an assist
      from the
      > >always scrappy Tim Legler) that being able to actually create a
      shot via
      > >moves or quick release may be more important than pure offensive
      ability.
      > >IOW it is different than baseball, where the better clutch player
      is just
      > >the better overall player, in hoops the better clutch player may be
      a guy
      > >who is a lesser player overall.
      >
      > Almost certainly this is the case. How often do you see an Artis
      Gilmore
      > or even Shaq (well Shaq with his FT-shooting troubles is a special
      case)
      > take the last shot, as opposed to a Kobe or ... who did the Bulls
      use
      > to take the last shot during the Artis years, I'd guess they'd want
      van
      > Lier looking to hit either Wilbur Holland or Mickey Johnson as the
      first
      > choice, with van Lier jacking it up himself if the first choice
      didn't
      > work out.

      One thing that seems to be the case, although I've never seen any data
      to support this, is that during what most would describe as "clutch"
      situations, the pace of the game slows considerably. Perhaps this
      could be confirmed or refuted using play-by-play data.

      Understandably, when you're under 30 seconds in a close game or so it
      makes sense to play for the last shot to leave as little time as
      possible for your opponent to score. But very often when you get
      under 5:00 or so of a close game, you'll see teams getting more
      deliberate, using up much of the shot clock, perhaps in an attempt to
      get the ball in the hands of their best scorer, or perhaps to avoid
      turnovers. This seems to be true for even normally fast-paced teams
      like Sacramento. This strategy would indeed seem to favor players
      who can create their own shot or at least have a quick release, and
      particularly those with 3-point shooting ability. But I've always
      wondered whether this is good strategy. Shouldn't a team simply use
      its optimal point-scoring strategy throughout a close game?

      Jim