Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: NBA Stats site

  • Gary Collard
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 9, 2003
      roland_beech wrote:

      > Thanks to everyone who's taken a look at the site and commented
      > (either here or through the feedback forms on the web pages
      > themselves...my favorite comment so far is "you can't stop Ostertag,
      > you can only hope to contain him")

      That was me, sorry forgot to sign

      --
      Gary Collard
      SABR-L Moderator

      "Many believe that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. Yeah, like
      *that's* true." -- Rob Simpson
    • igor eduardo küpfer
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 9, 2003
        After going through your site some more, I must say how impressed I am. A
        couple of further comments.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 10, 2003

          > Perhaps the Pythag would be informative here. Using Tim Duncan as an
          > example:
          >
          > OffPts DefPts Min Win% W-L
          > OnCourt 97.0 88.9 3151 75.6% 50-16
          > OffCourt 91.7 97.9 775 29.9% 5-11
          >
          > 50-16 is a number people can easily understand, while points scored and
          > allowed appeals only to us statheads :-)
          >
          > BTW DeanO: how do your individual win numbers match up to these?

          In

          http://www.rawbw.com/~deano/articles/iwldef.html

          I post 3 versions of individual win-loss records. The version that
          Roland posts -- how many games that person's team outscores the
          opponent when the player is on the court -- is most like the first
          listed there, I believe because players on good teams generally look
          pretty good. Roland's is better than what my first one does. Method
          2 shown on my page is one of my favorite tools because it indicates
          how well players do their roles. For some players, I think it is
          similar to Roland's, especially the better players (Duncan 58-23 by
          Roland and 62-19 by me). Method 3 of mine is applying Pythagorean
          methods to individual offensive and defensive ratings, which is more
          answering the question you raise. It looks, however, to estimate how
          many games a player contributes to, so how many wins can they add.
          Duncan comes out at 15.9-1.0 (.941), so it's not comparable in
          magnitude.

          I think it's key to note that all these interpretations of an
          individual's win-loss record are fair. The one Ed coins is
          interesting. The one that Roland has should be similar to Ed's
          (theoretically, they should be very comparable), but I haven't checked.

          > I have a few other suggestions. I'll send them off list.

          That data set could lead to a flood of ideas on what to do with it.
          How many years of pbp's do you have?