Re: Chemistry thoughts

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 9, 2003
      This gets back to chemistry in my mind. I generally think people
      use "chemistry" a lot to cover up their own misevaluations of a
      team's talent level, but there are certainly cases where it applied,
      and I think this one is a good example.

      In fact, I think that team had trouble for the same reason Miller's
      Clipper team had trouble -- everyone was trying to get to the same
      spot on the floor. The Clippers had five guys on the floor who all
      wanted to post up, so the offense was much less than the sum of its
      parts; that's probably why Piatkowski played so much. Similarly, the
      U.S. team tried posting up all game, but the opponents were so backed
      in that they couldn't get many shots off for O'Neal, Brand et al. The
      team couldn't spread the ball around as you suggested because it
      didn't have any deep shooters, so Pierce and Miller ended up trying
      to create plays at the end of the clock.

      > One other thing, tying this and the Olympic quals together -- in
      > looking at the 2002 World's team that did so poorly, I believe that
      is
      > a team that struggled from lack of chemistry. Andre Miller and Paul
      > Pierce dominated the possessions (up over 30% of team possessions in
      > an all-star lineup?). Maybe it was because the low box guys weren't
      > big scorers, but I do think more effort should have been spent to
      get
      > those low post guys to look to score. I haven't done the full
      > calculations, but I'm guessing that that team could have been about
      > 10% better offensively if they'd spread the ball around a bit more.
      > Harder to determine how chemistry would have impacted the defensive
      > side, but probably some because the big guys were decent defenders
      in
      > Wallace, O'Neal, and A. Davis (Brand suffers a little).
      >
      > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...>
      wrote:
      > > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, igor eduardo küpfer
      > > <igorkupfer@r...> wrote: