RE: [APBR_analysis] Re: Minkoff Player Rating?

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
      From: Dean Oliver [mailto:deano@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 9:10 AM

      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "dlirag" <dlirag@h...> wrote:

      [...]

      >> To combat this, one uses the Minkoff Player Rating
      >> defined as (MPR) = (RMPR)**(2/3) * (min/gm)**(1/3).
      >
      >I hadn't heard this last part. Actually, I remember Tony suggesting
      >a straight linear average of RMPR and min/gm, which I never liked.
      >This weighting is interesting. The cutoff of 13 min/g hints at the

      Yeah, I'd forgotten about that too. It's a weighted geometric mean,
      probably a very good idea, for dealing with those 1 minute played,
      1-1 players Minkoff mentioned in his example. An arithmetic mean
      would still show those players with high "value"; a geometric mean
      cuts down the ratings of players with low actual minutes/game (or
      low RMPR scores).