Re: Minkoff Player Rating?

  • dlirag
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
      I found this in an old newsgroup post:

      "First, minutes/game for each player is fit to a linear
      sum of that player's per-minute statistics. The resulting
      weights indicate how valuable NBA coaches think various
      statistical categories are, as expressed by their
      willingness to give more minutes to players who excel
      at them.

      The Raw Minkoff Player Rating is determined by summing
      the weighted per-minute statistics, thus determining how
      many minutes/game each player "earned". In practice,
      some bit-part players will seem to deserve an amazing
      number of minutes (eg, a player who played 1 minute and
      shot 1-1 from the field would "deserve" 105 minutes/game).
      To combat this, one uses the Minkoff Player Rating
      defined as (MPR) = (RMPR)**(2/3) * (min/gm)**(1/3).
      That is, a player's final rating is two parts statistical
      and one part empirical, based on how many minutes he
      actually did play. MPR's below about 13 denote players
      not of NBA quality, barring special circumstances
      (e.g. Terry Cummings)."

      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "cwfrizzell" <cwfrizzell@y...>
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "dlirag" <dlirag@h...> wrote:
        > I found this in an old newsgroup post:
        >
        > "First, minutes/game for each player is fit to a linear
        > sum of that player's per-minute statistics. The resulting
        > weights indicate how valuable NBA coaches think various
        > statistical categories are, as expressed by their
        > willingness to give more minutes to players who excel
        > at them.
        >
        > The Raw Minkoff Player Rating is determined by summing
        > the weighted per-minute statistics, thus determining how
        > many minutes/game each player "earned". In practice,
        > some bit-part players will seem to deserve an amazing
        > number of minutes (eg, a player who played 1 minute and
        > shot 1-1 from the field would "deserve" 105 minutes/game).
        > To combat this, one uses the Minkoff Player Rating
        > defined as (MPR) = (RMPR)**(2/3) * (min/gm)**(1/3).
        > That is, a player's final rating is two parts statistical
        > and one part empirical, based on how many minutes he
        > actually did play. MPR's below about 13 denote players
        > not of NBA quality, barring special circumstances
        > (e.g. Terry Cummings)."

        I hadn't heard this last part. Actually, I remember Tony suggesting
        a straight linear average of RMPR and min/gm, which I never liked.
        This weighting is interesting. The cutoff of 13 min/g hints at the
        old question of replacement level. The reference to Cummings reminds
        us that it is a pain to actually determine.

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2003
          >> To combat this, one uses the Minkoff Player Rating
          >> defined as (MPR) = (RMPR)**(2/3) * (min/gm)**(1/3).
          >
          >I hadn't heard this last part. Actually, I remember Tony suggesting
          >a straight linear average of RMPR and min/gm, which I never liked.
          >This weighting is interesting. The cutoff of 13 min/g hints at the

          Yeah, I'd forgotten about that too. It's a weighted geometric mean,
          probably a very good idea, for dealing with those 1 minute played,
          1-1 players Minkoff mentioned in his example. An arithmetic mean
          would still show those players with high "value"; a geometric mean
          cuts down the ratings of players with low actual minutes/game (or
          low RMPR scores).