Re: progression or regression

  • harlanzo
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 27, 2003
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "schtevie2003" <schtevie@h...>
      wrote:

      the infusion of foreigners into the NBA should
      > be viewed as a net improvement in the average talent of the
      > league, not a mere substitution on the scrub margin.
      >
      > And this in turn has implications on interpreting NBA trends.
      > Low offensive productivity, bad offense or good defense? The
      > former interpretation is increasingly difficult to support.
      >
      > Thoughts?

      I would think the addition of euros is a net improvement but two
      other factors to consider:

      1) have we maxed out the number of useful euros in the nba or are
      there a bunch of decent euros who could come him here and play near
      average thus raising the talent pool?

      2) does international competition overstate how good some of these
      guys are? the 3 point line is much closer than the nba, the lane
      shorter, the game shorter, its possible that a lot of guys who have
      looked good in these games are barely adequate if not worse in the
      nba (for recent examples see ruben wolkwyski, shane heal, Mirsad
      Truckan, Carlos Arroyo)

      I tend to think more euros could come over here in do well if the
      teams were willing to invest the time. The interesting question is
      if/when the nba goes into europe, how much expansion could there be
      without diluting the talent pool?
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3 7:50 PM
        Dead on with point No. 2, except for Arroyo, who I think will
        surprise a lot of people with Utah this year.

        On point No. 1, there are also a few Europeans who NBA teams have
        desperately been trying to get to play in the league but have been
        more than happy to stay in Europe. Most prominent among them is Dejan
        Bodiroga, who the Kings took the same year they picked Stojakovic and
        is a superstar in Spain but has no intention of ever leaving. Milos
        Vujanic, Andres Noccioni, Nikola Vujcic and a few others could also
        pretty clearly play in the NBA if they felt like it.

        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "harlanzo" <harlanzo@y...>