Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: What has happened with offense?

  • PDXWiz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 17 9:59 PM
      There's also the big NASCAR race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, home of the Indy 500, which is very popular. This weekend, NASCAR was at Michigan International Speedway, in Brooklyn, MI (about an hour outside of Detroit). All 136,373 seats at MIS were sold and the total crowd was estimated at 160,000. It is the 26th straight Winston Cup sellout. This was the 23rd of 36 races this season, so this streak goes three weeks back into the 2002 season. They've run almost all of the non-Southern states races this year. They've raced in the Bay area, Southern California, and Las Vegas. The second New Hampshire and Dover, Delaware races are coming up, as is Phoenix. Dover is within 2 hour drives from Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington. Tens of thousands of NASCAR fans will drive 24 hours to see their driver. Will even 1,000 NBA fans drive 24 hours to see Allen Iverson or Shaquille O'Neal? This sport is growing as fast as the NFL of the late 50s and 60s, or the NBA of the late 60s and mid 80s.

      Yes, I am a NASCAR fan, but the NBA is first in my heart.

      Gordon