Re: East - West imbalance

    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7, 2003
      <igorkupfer@r...> wrote:

> [...]
      the West had worse records against East teams than the worst East
      teams had against Western teams.

      Note that Sagarin and Massey both put out ratings of NBA teams, too,
      accounting for strength of schedule. The below have playoffs also
      factored in.

      http://www.masseyratings.com/rate/nba-m.htm

      Rank Team Power
      1 San Antonio 1.9
      2 Sacramento 1.671
      3 Dallas 1.407
      4 LA Lakers 1.141
      5 Minnesota 0.867
      6 New Jersey 0.85
      7 Portland 0.79
      8 Utah 0.507
      9 Philadelphia 0.479
      10 Detroit 0.387
      11 New Orleans 0.359
      12 Phoenix 0.329
      13 Houston 0.281
      14 Indiana 0.153
      15 Seattle 0.084
      16 Milwaukee 0.042
      17 Boston 0.014
      18 Orlando -0.006
      19 Golden State -0.105
      20 New York -0.241
      21 Washington -0.475
      22 Atlanta -0.504
      23 Memphis -0.849
      24 Chicago -0.945
      25 LA Clippers -1.031
      26 Miami -1.43
      27 Toronto -1.514
      28 Denver -2.047
      29 Cleveland -2.116

      http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nba0203.htm
      (This is Sagarin's combined rating, which he actually doesn't like as
      much as his Predictor, which ranks Dallas at the top. He had a fit a
      couple years ago when the BCS said you can't consider point
      difference in ranking teams if you want to be part of the rating
      system. Frankly, neither side did it right. Point difference is
      relevant up to a certain theoretical cutoff, but Sagarin's work can't
      deal with it and the BCS just had political motivations. Sagarin's
      work still is good...)

      Rank Team Power
      1 San Antonio Spurs 97.95
      2 Sacramento Kings 97.17
      3 Dallas Mavericks 96.99
      4 Los Angeles Lakers 94.58
      5 Portland Trail Blazers 93.93
      6 New Jersey Nets 93.92
      7 Minnesota Timberwolves 93.43
      8 Utah Jazz 92.54
      9 Detroit Pistons 92.04
      10 Philadelphia 76ers 91.95
      11 Phoenix Suns 91.57
      12 Houston Rockets 91.51
      13 New Orleans Hornets 91.35
      14 Indiana Pacers 91.2
      15 Seattle SuperSonics 90.56
      16 Boston Celtics 90.21
      17 Milwaukee Bucks 89.78
      18 Orlando Magic 89.72
      19 Golden State Warriors 89.55
      20 New York Knicks 88.52
      21 Washington Wizards 87.84
      22 Atlanta Hawks 86.96
      23 Memphis Grizzlies 86.71
      24 Los Angeles Clippers 85.82
      25 Chicago Bulls 85.45
      26 Miami Heat 83.71
      27 Toronto Raptors 83.24
      28 Denver Nuggets 81.63
      29 Cleveland Cavaliers 80.19

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 8, 2003
        I studied this very topic each of the past two years. In 2001-02
        playing in the East was worth about a game in the standings for most
        teams, in 2002-03 it was worth closer to two games. This might be
        smaller than people imagine, but the reason is that regardless of
        which league a team plays in, 56 of the games will be exactly the
        same.