Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Individual workouts

  • bchaikin@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 21, 2003

      talking about lebron james:

      If he somehow turns out to be less than awesome (Isaiah Rider)....

      if you read lenny wilkens' autobiography ("Unguarded", copyright2000), you'll get a 1st hand perspective of what it was like to have to coach j.r. rider. in a word - unpleasant. selfish, certainly not team oriented, no defense. a hard worker, but strictly for his own personal goals and not those of the team, and not one to take instruction let alone direction from a coach. everything i have seen and/or heard about lebron to date is just the opposite. lets hope (at least from the cavaliers' perspective) that's the case...

      There were questions of strength and whether he would ever be able to hit that jumper.

      i remember this being said about kobe bryant. but if you've seen lebron james play, you'd know he has what appears to be classic form on his J. plus he appears to be a good shooter for a 6'8" player, and i don't mean glen rice form. i mean a player who can shoot a jumper but also create his own shot and get to the basket like he was a guard. if this kid was to get four years of seasoning in a good college program, he'd be the envy of the whole planet. as it is he'll get that seasoning in the nba, and 2-3 years should be enough....

      I actually do expect a lot from LeBron this year.  More precisely, I expect more from the Cavs.

      i sure hope you're right but in all honesty i think you're dreaming. we're talking about a team that won all of 17 games last year and got outscored by a huge 9.6 points per game, by far the worst point differential in the league last year and also the worst point differential in the league by a team in six seasons (since the 97-98 nuggets). add to that the fact that the cavs haven't won more than 32 games in the last 4 years, and have consecutively lost more games each season in these past four seasons (32, 30, 29, and 17). if they won 30 games in 03-04 i'd be happy, 35 and i'd be ecstatic. anything better than that would be gravy. i don't think there's any chance a 19 year old kid could have the same effect on a pro team like a larry bird or david robinson - someone who could turn a team completely around. those two had far more seasoning under their respective belts...

      i'm guessing they'll slip james right into the small forward spot and just plain leave him there, alongside ilgauskas, boozer, ricky davis, and god know who at pg, maybe wagner (the rumor here is they are looking to acquire a veteran pg for 25-30 min/g to ease any ball-handling responsibilities to james slowly). with ilgauskas and davis being looked upon for scoring, boozer for defense and rebounding, and hopefully a point guard no worse than henry bibby in his prime, james should be able to progress on his own and not be looked upon to take over games in his rookie year. hopefully he'll have his moments though...

      bob chaikin
      bchaikin@...

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 22, 2003

        > talking about lebron james:
        >
        > If he somehow turns out to be less than awesome (Isaiah Rider)....
        >
        > if you read lenny wilkens' autobiography ("Unguarded",
        copyright2000), you'll
        > get a 1st hand perspective of what it was like to have to coach
        j.r. rider.
        > in a word - unpleasant. selfish, certainly not team oriented, no
        defense. a
        > hard worker, but strictly for his own personal goals and not those
        of the team,
        > and not one to take instruction let alone direction from a coach.
        everything i
        > have seen and/or heard about lebron to date is just the opposite.
        lets hope
        > (at least from the cavaliers' perspective) that's the case...

        Let's hope from everyone's perspective that's the case. Paul Silas
        was probably a good hire there, but I dunno for sure.

        > i sure hope you're right but in all honesty i think you're
        dreaming.

        As you pointed out, they have some good talent there.

        What also appears to have happened is that they tanked a lot of the
        season.

        They have several prominent young players who are likely to get
        better, including Boozer, Davis, Miles (whose season was a HUGE
        dropoff from his Clipper days), and (maybe) Wagner.

        > we're
        > talking about a team that won all of 17 games last year and got
        outscored by a
        > huge 9.6 points per game, by far the worst point differential in
        the league
        > last year and also the worst point differential in the league by a
        team in six
        > seasons (since the 97-98 nuggets). add to that the fact that the
        cavs haven't
        > won more than 32 games in the last 4 years, and have consecutively
        lost more
        > games each season in these past four seasons (32, 30, 29, and 17).

        Not a sustainable pattern.

        > if they won 30
        > games in 03-04 i'd be happy, 35 and i'd be ecstatic. anything
        better than
        > that would be gravy.

        Dumb luck gets them to a 25 win season. Not sure what the over/under
        will be on the Cavs this coming year, but if it's 25, I take the over.

        > i don't think there's any chance a 19 year old kid could
        > have the same effect on a pro team like a larry bird or david
        robinson - someone
        > who could turn a team completely around. those two had far more
        seasoning
        > under their respective belts...

        Look at the comparisons, though, between Bird's Boston team and
        Robinson's Spurs team. You've pointed them out yourself. A series
        of ever worsening years, some decent young and old talent. I'll note
        also that the teams also got new coaches around that time (not a
        surprise with ever worsening teams). I'll note that the defenses on
        those teams before the arrival of the saviors were horrible, at their
        peak worst right before the arrival (Cleveland was pretty equally bad
        in '02 and '03, however). I also wouldn't doubt that the Cavs trade
        one of their young guys with potential to get an older guy who helps
        right away.

        > i'm guessing they'll slip james right into the small forward spot
        and just
        > plain leave him there, alongside ilgauskas, boozer, ricky davis,
        and god know
        > who at pg, maybe wagner (the rumor here is they are looking to
        acquire a veteran
        > pg for 25-30 min/g to ease any ball-handling responsibilities to
        james
        > slowly).

        ...like I said...

        > with ilgauskas and davis being looked upon for scoring, boozer for
        defense
        > and rebounding, and hopefully a point guard no worse than henry
        bibby in his
        > prime, james should be able to progress on his own and not be
        looked upon to
        > take over games in his rookie year. hopefully he'll have his
        moments though...

        I don't know James all that well. I didn't see him as much on TV as
        others. What I saw was exceptional. But, more relevantly for the
        Cavs, what I see in their numbers, in the pattern of the season, is a
        team that should not have been so bad last year and is primed to get
        better with a small infusion of talent. They are getting a big
        infusion of talent.

        So who in the East is going to take the dive as a result? Haven't
        thought through that yet. If it's New Orleans, though, look for
        Silas to get a few votes for Coach of the Year even though he has
        King James.