Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Pro Basketball Prospectus

  • PDXWiz@aol.com
    Message 1 of 39 , Jun 2 11:16 AM
      In a message dated 5/31/2003 6:18:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time, bchaikin@... writes:

      The problem is that one month into the season, as players get injured and traded, these books become obsolete, and a year later there is hardly anything more useless on library shelves.

      obviously written by a librarian that was a diehard sports fan - not that that (non-annual) hulk hogan autobiography leaves the shelf very often either....

      Of course, $20 is nothing for a book like the Pro Basketball Prospectus. (Was that shilly enough?)

      its certainly not that his (or anyone's) book isn't worth it, its just that i'm one of those who never buys a book at full price until after i read it, or a large portion of it  - i.e. if i wouldn't want to read it more than once i don't want it. other than a sports pure stats book (which i use for reference) i can't remember the last time i bought a book without reading it or most of it first (probably a college textbook way back when). gotta scour those book sales for bargains....

      bob chaikin
      bchaikin@...

      Speaking as a library clerk who only circulates materials (not ordering them), I help a number of patrons who borrow materials--the obvious cds and videos as well as books--who try things out before they buy. I think it's a good policy, especially if you can't afford to buy many books. Most of the books are worth a read, but not necessarily worth owning. Case in point: the last two basketball books I read that I immensely enjoyed were Bill Russell's most recent book (name escapes me) which I borrowed from my library, and Robert Bradley's most excellent Compendium of Professional Basketball (the most valuable basketball purchase I've ever made) which I skimmed through in the bookstore before buying it.

      We buy travel books from the major travel publisher's (i.e., Fodor's, Frommer's, et al.) every year, and only retain them a couple of years. We don't have many sports statistics books (mainly Baseball America & The Sporting News for baseball, The Official NBA Encyclopedia, and the Total Sports series) and they generally stay in collection with some usage until the individual copy wears out. Most libraries that can afford sports statistics books are probably going to weed them out after a short time 'when they become obsolete' unless they have staff who recognize the value of them as reference materials beyond a year or two after their release, or if a new addition appears (such as Total Football II, or the NBA Encyclopedia). Since libraries have to be all things to all people, they will tend towards sports bios, and franchise/sport histories. Bill James has become a big enough writer to have more of his baseball books purchased, although he isn't as big a name or as well-circulated as Terry Pluto (as far as I can determine, anyway).

      It would be nice if some of our writers could become equivalent to Bill James in the public eye....good luck with all of your books!
    • fadeawaymike
      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 1, 2004
        I've bought your book also. First I've read the Prospectus of
        Hollinger and after that Basketball on paper. I'v read reviews that
        said: the prospectus is good but basketball on paper is better. Well
        I don't agree. The analytic methods are there but the conclusions
        are sometimes not so strong. For example your rebounding part. You
        make a conclusion and than you begin to correct yourself(offensive
        rebounds create free throw attempts,...)