Re: The strategy

  • Kevin Pelton
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2003
      For what it's worth, if you take out defensive rebounds and consider
      just whether they let opponents make shots (or turn the ball over),
      the Nets drop to third:

      Sacramento - 85.0
      San Antonio - 85.7
      New Jersey - 85.8
      Indiana - 87.2
      Detroit - 87.7

      New Jersey had a much better defensive rebound % than Sacramento and
      San Antonio, both of whom were below average. Detroit had the best
      defensive rebounding % in the league, so that's why they shoot up
      taking that as part of defense.
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1 1:39 PM
        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Pelton" <kpelton08@h...>
        wrote:
        > For what it's worth, if you take out defensive rebounds and
        consider
        > just whether they let opponents make shots (or turn the ball over),
        > the Nets drop to third:
        >
        > Sacramento - 85.0
        > San Antonio - 85.7
        > New Jersey - 85.8
        > Indiana - 87.2
        > Detroit - 87.7
        >
        > New Jersey had a much better defensive rebound % than Sacramento
        and
        > San Antonio, both of whom were below average. Detroit had the best
        > defensive rebounding % in the league, so that's why they shoot up
        > taking that as part of defense.

        All this and Bob's stuff is consistent with what I do. That's good.
        We're all on the same page. Kevin is pointing at a points per 100
        play number, which I don't calculate much. I look at the difference
        shown above between Sac and NJ as pretty much noise. Estimates of
        plays and possessions are good to just under 1%, so differences of
        less than 1 in these numbers aren't really differences.