Re: Pro Basketball Prospectus

    Message 1 of 39 , May 27, 2003
      > PFs ended up at 0.35 because that was the ratio of made foul shots
      > personal fouls, minus the average points per possessions that a
      team would score if
      > the foul hadn't been committed.

      This seems sound, to me. However, I was under the impression that
      average points-following-a-foul were not significantly different
      from average points-per-possession.

      > lets use the 01-02 season as an example. there were 42619 FTM and
      50497 PF
      > for a ratio of FTM/PF of 0.85. courtesy of harvey pollack's guide,
      there were
      > 4553 offensive fouls committed that season, so now that ratio now
      creeps up to
      > over 0.90 FTM/PF. although a small minority of fouls can be
      considered good
      > fouls (as in fouling a poor FT shooter near the end of a game if
      you are losing),
      > and many fouls result in no FTA (non-shooting fouls committed
      before the
      > bonus and thus not resulting in any FTA), the bottom line is that
      the only way for
      > a player to score from the FT line (except the rare technicals,
      double fouls,
      > etc) is to be fouled, and thus - on average - every PF committed
      results in
      > the opponent scoring close to a point, somewhere around 0.90 or
      more points per
      > personal foul committed....
      > are you somehow accounting for the discrepancy between this 0.90
      and your
      > value of 0.35 in your other coefficients? is this what you mean
      by "...minus the
      > avg pts/poss that a team would score if the foul hadn't been

      Logically, if a foul doesn't increase the likelihood of the other
      team's scoring, it shouldn't be a negative factor at all. If .9 pts-
      allowed results from the average foul, how can that even be
      considered a net detriment to the fouling team?

      I'm not convinced the majority of fouls are 'bad' fouls. If you
      are playing tight defense, you are going to get called for some
      fouls. Sometimes you will get away with a no-call.

      Many fouls are decidedly good or neutral. Stopping Shaq from a dunk
      (`1.25 vs. 1.98 probable pts) is better than letting him dunk.

      > Field goals ended up at 1.65 after I subtracted credit for an
      assist. It
      > varied by team; field goals by Utah players were worth the least
      because they were
      > most like to have credit split with the assister.

      Is it assumed, then, that John Stockton's FG made are as likely to
      have been assisted as Kirilenko FG are? I recall DeanO claiming to
      have had a formula that distinguished between the players on a team -
      - not just between teams.

      > am i to understand that in your individual player rating system a
      FGM by a
      > player on one team may not be of the same value as a FGM by a
      player on another
      > team? if so i would have a hard time comprehending this as a
      trustworty rating
      > system as in any single game all FGM by players on both teams are
      of equal
      > value (aka a 2pter is a 2tper, and a 3pter is a 3pter, a FTM a

      I think what John is saying is that individual credits can be forced
      to add up to the final score, by splitting credit between the scorer
      and the assister. Again, this makes sense to me.

      > And now for our main event....
      > As far as rebounds are concerned, I think the "a rebound is a
      > logic is the main reason the Danny Fortsons of the world are
      vastly overrated by
      > most statistical methods.

      Fortson seems to rank high in per-minute lists and low in per-game
      lists. In the rare seasons when he's stayed healthy (maybe once),
      he's ranked pretty strong in my (non-linear) rating system. He's
      been a high-%, medium-strength scorer as well as a rebounder.

      > what praytell is a rebound if it isn't getting your team
      possession of the
      > ball? no matter how you take the ball away from your opponent, if
      you do take
      > the ball away without your opponent scoring, how can those
      separate events be
      > valued differently? how can a steal (or a turnover that wasn't a
      steal) and a
      > def reb be valued differently?...

      I'm solidly with JohnH here. A steal removes the ball from the
      opponent AND gains the possession. A rebound is gaining possession
      of what is essentially a loose ball.

      I still don't follow how an offensive rebound is worth more because
      it is rarer. There are all kinds of events rarer than a rebound,
      which are worth whatever they are worth, and not based on their

      For sure, some guys get a lot of defensive rebounds from missed FT,
      and these are almost 'givens'. But in the long haul, I have to
      guess there would be even more total rebounds available from non-FT

      > as for danny fortson how is he - and "his kind" - overrated? who
      > overrating him? danny fortson is an absolutely superb rebounder
      matched by only a
      > handful of players in the past 3 years, who, unfortunately, has
      played in less than
      > 60% of his team's games in his six years in the league, and
      commits way too
      > many fouls to be a regular starter.

      That's how I've generally assumed fouls should come into
      consideration in player-ratings: They limit your minutes. Of
      course, if your ratings are strictly 'per-minute', you may get wacky

      > Basically, there are two ways to get a defensive 'stop':
      > 1) force a turnover,
      > 2) force a missed shot AND get the rebound.
      >> You're asking me to equate a portion of 2) with the entirety of
      1). To me
      > that makes no sense.

      > from the standpoint of bookkeeping stats from a team perspective i
      > your concern, but from the standpoint of rating individual players
      the second
      > option above is cleary two separate events and the first is
      clearly one, and
      > the bottom line is that once a shot is missed, its a free ball and
      either the
      > offensive team can regain possession of the ball or the defensive
      team can.
      > and as you have cleary shown
      > by your labelling of a steal and a turnover as equal and opposite
      events and
      > of absolute equal value equivalent to that of an avg team
      possession of 1.02
      > - because one team gains a team possession and one loses one, the
      situation is
      > identical for an offensive and defensive rebound - either you are
      > team possession of the ball or you are losing it...

      It seems that Bob is agreeing with John; am I right?
    • fadeawaymike
      Message 39 of 39 , Feb 1, 2004
        I've bought your book also. First I've read the Prospectus of
        Hollinger and after that Basketball on paper. I'v read reviews that
        said: the prospectus is good but basketball on paper is better. Well
        I don't agree. The analytic methods are there but the conclusions
        are sometimes not so strong. For example your rebounding part. You
        make a conclusion and than you begin to correct yourself(offensive
        rebounds create free throw attempts,...)