Re: [APBR_analysis] Toine Walker & W-L

  • nik
    Message 1 of 64 , May 14, 2003
      --- Gary Collard <collardg@...> wrote:
      > nik wrote:
      > >
      > > This might be a stupid question but I'll ask
      > > it anyway:
      > >
      > > If Walker is the only star in the Celtics roster,
      > > yet he "contributes" so many losses and there are
      > > only 2 other players of NBA quality and all the
      > > other players are scrubs or almost...
      > > Then how did the Celtics win all these games
      > > and got into the playoffs?
      >
      > Playing in the East helps. I have to think that if
      > they had been moved to
      > the West, they finish 12th of 15 and finish 10 games
      > under.

      I certainly agree with this, and with most comments
      DeanO made about Walker, but that wasn't exactly
      what I was asking. Besides, Walker and others playing
      against weaker competition in the East, is partly
      included in their stats. My question had more to do
      with the W-L contributing system that DeanO
      uses and less with what kind of player Walker is
      and whether he deserves all the dissing he gets.

      I'm sure he has explained it in some of his previous
      posts but I didn't study it carefully at the time
      and I'm not sure whether there is a "royal way"
      to understand it.
      That's why I said that my question might be stupid,
      in case I didn't get the idea behind his W-L
      formula.

      To be more clear... every player in a team
      "contributes" some wins and losses. What is
      the relation between the players' records and the
      team's actual record? If you add all those
      players' records, do you get the team's record?
      Should you? (is this the meaning of the formula?)
      Or is there a difference, which you may call
      "coaching and other factors"? Or is it irrelevant?

      -Nik

      http://search.yahoo.com
      Message 64 of 64 , May 22, 2003
        I was forced to watch a huge number of Hawks games this year. One
        thing nobody talked about was how bad this team's bench was. Nazr
        Mohammed just flat out sucked, and Alan Henderson wasn't much better.
        Darvin Ham can't make a shot if it isn't a dunk, and Dan Dickau was a
        total flop. The only halfway decent bench player was Ira Newble, and
        he started half the season.

        As for the Terry point/not a point issue, the real problem was that
        he was the only guy who could handle the ball, especially when Newble
        was starting at off guard, and that was why they made so many TOs.
        The Hawks just need somebody else who can dribble and take the
        pressure off; which guard spot he plays is almost irrelevant.

        As for Big Dog, he should be a bench dog. The team played better
        without him, and at this point Newble is better anyway.

        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "lilnemoinslumber"