RE: [APBR_analysis] Re: Home vs Away FT%

    Message 1 of 3 , May 13, 2003
      From: aaronkoo [mailto:deano@...]
      Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2003 5:11 PM

      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, <igorkupfer@r...> wrote:

      >> 02-03, all players
      >> Home 22287-29415 75.8%
      >> Road 21741-28688 75.8%

      [...]

      >I was thinking about the same thing.
      >
      >My next questions was: "If we don't see any difference, does that
      >imply that the actual difference in performance that we do see
      >between home and road is then due to defense alone (since defense has
      >no role in shooting FTs)?"

      A tempting conclusion, but one could well imagine that other aspects
      of a team's offense decline on the road, even though their FT% stays
      the same. FT% is probably the one element of offense which changes
      the least under varying circumstances of home, road, quality of
      opponent, etc.

      Still, it's interesting to contemplate. I would've guessed that the
      offense on the road would be most affected, and maybe instead it's
      the defense (either the visitor's D getting worse or the home team's
      D getting better). Plus officiating.