Re: [APBR_analysis] Walker and bad starting pitchers

  • Gary Collard
    Message 1 of 2 , May 12 12:44 PM
      aaronkoo wrote:

      > You see baseball starting pitchers like Mike Hampton going 7-15 one
      > year (the equivalent of the worst team's win %) and are still viewed
      > as valuable for being a starter who can make starts. There are other
      > examples, too, of cases where guys throw a lot of innings, but things
      > go badly when they're in there. I'm sure Gary can come up with a
      > few. That seems to be what we're saying about Walker.

      There is certainly a value to just being able to eat innings, particularly
      on a team without much pitching depth, as it keeps the truly wretched AAA
      types from making short starts and the resulting domino effect on the
      bullpen. I suppose that there are guys like this in the NBA too, guys who
      if you throw them out there 30-35 minutes a game will not particularly help
      or hurt you, but will keep you from playing some stiff/over the hill/rookie
      player. Walker is such an extreme case with his complete lack of a concept
      of shot selection that I'm not sure he's that guy, he seems the type that
      will shoot you into a game and then out of two. A guy who might help if
      you could afford with your bench to impose some discipline on him by
      yanking him for playing stupid, but not the kind of guy you want to be one
      of your cornerstone players, as that means you are pretty damned far from
      being a serious contendor (is Boston really any better than Golden State
      this year?).

      --
      Gary Collard
      SABR-L Moderator

      "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned...but hell hath comparatively
      even less fury if you then start dating her sister."
      -- Lev L. Spiro