Walker and bad starting pitchers

  • aaronkoo
    Message 1 of 2 , May 11 12:54 PM
      You see baseball starting pitchers like Mike Hampton going 7-15 one
      year (the equivalent of the worst team's win %) and are still viewed
      as valuable for being a starter who can make starts. There are other
      examples, too, of cases where guys throw a lot of innings, but things
      go badly when they're in there. I'm sure Gary can come up with a
      few. That seems to be what we're saying about Walker.

      Some of these pitchers have indeed done well in different situations,
      as Hampton has done in Atlanta and New York. With that analogy,
      you'd think that Walker may do better elsewhere, but I think it would
      take a coach that said "You're shooting less", given Walker's love of
      shooting.
    • Gary Collard
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12 12:44 PM
        aaronkoo wrote:

        > You see baseball starting pitchers like Mike Hampton going 7-15 one
        > year (the equivalent of the worst team's win %) and are still viewed
        > as valuable for being a starter who can make starts. There are other
        > examples, too, of cases where guys throw a lot of innings, but things
        > go badly when they're in there. I'm sure Gary can come up with a
        > few. That seems to be what we're saying about Walker.

        There is certainly a value to just being able to eat innings, particularly
        on a team without much pitching depth, as it keeps the truly wretched AAA
        types from making short starts and the resulting domino effect on the
        bullpen. I suppose that there are guys like this in the NBA too, guys who
        if you throw them out there 30-35 minutes a game will not particularly help
        or hurt you, but will keep you from playing some stiff/over the hill/rookie
        player. Walker is such an extreme case with his complete lack of a concept
        of shot selection that I'm not sure he's that guy, he seems the type that
        will shoot you into a game and then out of two. A guy who might help if
        you could afford with your bench to impose some discipline on him by
        yanking him for playing stupid, but not the kind of guy you want to be one
        of your cornerstone players, as that means you are pretty damned far from
        being a serious contendor (is Boston really any better than Golden State
        this year?).

        --
        Gary Collard
        SABR-L Moderator

        "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned...but hell hath comparatively
        even less fury if you then start dating her sister."
        -- Lev L. Spiro