Re: 2003 Questions

    Message 1 of 64 , May 10, 2003
      I think Walker is as overrated as any player in the league, but I
      couldn't possibly disagree with your numbers any more. I had Walker
      with a PER of 14.40 -- third-best on the team behind Pierce and
      Battie. Moreover, it was that low only because he played hurt the
      last half of the season. It was at 16.48 when he got his dubious All-
      Star bid. That doesn't include two other assets Walker has -- he's a
      pretty good defensive player, and he's durable as hell.

      I think Walker is a b-list power forward and has no business getting
      anywhere near All-Star weekend, but it seems like your method really
      punishes low field-goal percentages -- and thus, on a high-volume
      shooter, punishes him to the point that he looks like one of the
      worst in the league. My personal opinion is that if he didn't take
      those shots, they'd be taken by McCarty or Bimbo Coles or some other
      crappy player, with two seconds on the shot clock, and end up with a
      far lower percentage than Walker shoots; and that on a better team
      he'd shoot a lot less and for a higher percentage.

      Message 64 of 64 , May 22, 2003
        I was forced to watch a huge number of Hawks games this year. One
        thing nobody talked about was how bad this team's bench was. Nazr
        Mohammed just flat out sucked, and Alan Henderson wasn't much better.
        Darvin Ham can't make a shot if it isn't a dunk, and Dan Dickau was a
        total flop. The only halfway decent bench player was Ira Newble, and
        he started half the season.

        As for the Terry point/not a point issue, the real problem was that
        he was the only guy who could handle the ball, especially when Newble
        was starting at off guard, and that was why they made so many TOs.
        The Hawks just need somebody else who can dribble and take the
        pressure off; which guard spot he plays is almost irrelevant.

        As for Big Dog, he should be a bench dog. The team played better
        without him, and at this point Newble is better anyway.

        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "lilnemoinslumber"