[APBR_analysis] Home vs Away FT%

  • igorkupfer@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2003
      Watching the Pistons/Sixers game, Brent Mussburger expressed confusion as to why
      players shot FTs worse on the road. Seems to me that before you wonder about something
      like that, you should ask if it is true first.

      02-03, all players
      Home 22287-29415 75.8%
      Road 21741-28688 75.8%

      If we look at individual players who have 30 or more attempts on the road and at home,
      you'll find that 123 players' FT% dropped on the road, while the same number had their
      FT% rise. The difference between these players' FT%ages, road vs home, was not
      significant.

      ed
    • aaronkoo
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2003
        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, <igorkupfer@r...> wrote:
        > Watching the Pistons/Sixers game, Brent Mussburger expressed
        confusion as to why
        > players shot FTs worse on the road. Seems to me that before you
        wonder about something
        > like that, you should ask if it is true first.
        >
        > 02-03, all players
        > Home 22287-29415 75.8%
        > Road 21741-28688 75.8%
        >
        > If we look at individual players who have 30 or more attempts on
        the road and at home,
        > you'll find that 123 players' FT% dropped on the road, while the
        same number had their
        > FT% rise. The difference between these players' FT%ages, road vs
        home, was not
        > significant.

        I was thinking about the same thing.

        My next questions was: "If we don't see any difference, does that
        imply that the actual difference in performance that we do see
        between home and road is then due to defense alone (since defense has
        no role in shooting FTs)?"

        Message 3 of 3 , May 13, 2003