Re: 2003 Questions

  • aaronkoo
    Message 1 of 64 , May 10, 2003
      Adding some detail as I'm getting a chance.

      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "aaronkoo" <deano@r...> wrote:

      > As I've finally gotten a chance to compile some numbers from this
      > past season, these are some of the interesting questions I haven't
      > had a chance to follow up on:
      >
      > 1. What the hell happened to Darius Miles? He wasn't a good
      player
      > in LA in 2002, but he was supposed to be getting better, not
      posting
      > an Olowokandi type year.

      I had him with a net win-loss record of 2.9-5.0 in 2002 and 0.2-8.8
      in 2003. Both his offense and defense declined remarkably.

      > 3. Was Chauncey Billups this good last year? Were there signs?

      My numbers have him just about as good in 2002 as 2003. Offensive
      rating in 2002 = 117 and in 2003 = 118. He increased his %age of
      team possessions from 21% to 24% without a decline in efficiency.

      > 9. Is Tracy McGrady really such a bad defender (as my initial cut
      > stats suggested)? Was he just relaxing on D because he had to do
      so
      > much offensively?

      The team's defensive rating was 106.3 with him and 99.1 without him.
      The offensive rating was 106.6 with him and 97.6 without him. Both
      were significant at 98+% when you account for strength of opposition.

      > 19. How is it that so many measures of quality say that Antoine
      > Walker is pitiful, yet even I wonder whether they'd be as good if
      > they replaced him with even Walter McCarty?

      I have Walker contributing 3.4 wins and 13.0 losses, the greatest net
      loss total of any player. It's a complex analysis to evaluate how
      much pressure he relieves for teammates. He certainly does that and
      he is surrounded by a bunch of guys that kind of need that. But I
      don't think that makes up for such a horrid individual record.

      > 20. Can a team like the Kings without a clear leader win a title?

      I've felt that the Kings seem to turn to Webber as their leader when
      crunch time comes, but he's never been that kind of player. My
      temptation is to say that his loss doesn't hurt the Kings in the
      playoffs. That seems to have been true during the regular season
      over the last several years.

      Message 64 of 64 , May 22, 2003
        I was forced to watch a huge number of Hawks games this year. One
        thing nobody talked about was how bad this team's bench was. Nazr
        Mohammed just flat out sucked, and Alan Henderson wasn't much better.
        Darvin Ham can't make a shot if it isn't a dunk, and Dan Dickau was a
        total flop. The only halfway decent bench player was Ira Newble, and
        he started half the season.

        As for the Terry point/not a point issue, the real problem was that
        he was the only guy who could handle the ball, especially when Newble
        was starting at off guard, and that was why they made so many TOs.
        The Hawks just need somebody else who can dribble and take the
        pressure off; which guard spot he plays is almost irrelevant.

        As for Big Dog, he should be a bench dog. The team played better
        without him, and at this point Newble is better anyway.

        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "lilnemoinslumber"