Re: Stats, again?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 27, 2001
      --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Mike Goodman" <msg_53@h...> wrote:
      > I have all the stats I can imagine, going back to 1952: raw
      > totals, per-game averages, and my standardized stuff. Anyone and
      > everyone is welcome to any or all of it, if they can get it to go
      > from my hard drive to theirs. I can't seem to get it to move.
      > Online, Doug Steele has complete stats going back to 1989, I
      > believe. I don't think I have ever found a glaring error in his
      > data. You can download a whole year of individual stats from his
      > site, into Excel, where you just align the columns to convert from
      > text file to usable data.
      > Unfortunately, Doug combines the stats of players traded
      > midseason, so if you want to break those down, you have to go from
      > team to team and re-enter them.
      > I guess I don't actually have those players who only had a cup
      of
      > coffee. I have everyone (I think) who totalled 100 NBA minutes or
      > 200 ABA minutes. Dates back to my 240 Meg HD and 66K processsor.
      > I often find it is easier to start from scratch than to insert
      one
      > or two columns and hand-enter something like turnovers. However, I
      > did just that when I found Bob Chaikin's data to have steals and
      > blocks from '74-'77, and some ABA stats. Thanks, Bob!
      > Count me in as someone who will check for errors or whatever.
      > Sounds like a worthwhile project. I don't see how copyrights can
      be
      > infringed when we have hand-entered data from so many sources, and
      > are now just pooling our resources.

      No copyright problems when hand-entering.

      Mike -- Why don't you post your team stats first. That's a little
      smaller and I can do some checking on those quicker. Those should
      form the basis for a lot of discussions anyway.

    • lk_maxwell@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 9, 2001
        I have just been reading through this thread and this is exactly the
        type of project I would be willing to have over at my website,
        http://www.thescoreproject.org

        I don't know how familiar everyone is with databases and the Internet
        so I'll explain a little bit about how it works. The site uses a
        database as a back-end. What would happen is when someone wants the
        scores or stats for a particular team or player the database will
        look up that particular information and send it to the web page for
        the visitor to view. When the database is updated, the next time
        someone views the page the changes will be already reflected. There
        is no need to print out dozens of html or text files and post them to
        a site. It is all done "behind-the-scenes" so to speak. Also, pages
        can be designed to view data in a variety of ways very easily and
        even make calculations to create numbers not held in the database,
        such as if the raw totals are stored then the points per game is
        simple to calculate and display on the web page. I can also allow
        members to update the database over the Internet or if they have
        large amounts of data, then they could email it to me for direct
        importation. Either way is very easy.

        My only concern about volunteering for this is of over-extending
        myself. I cannot promise when I can have the database or web pages
        up, and I still have about billion other things to do between work,
        family, other projects, etc. However, if there are those who are
        willing to update the site with data, then I will do what I can as
        fast as I can.

        Let me know if you have any thoughts.

        Loren Maxwell