RE: [APBR_analysis] Re: Walker's Boston Correlation

    Message 1 of 11 , May 8 11:19 PM
      -----Original Message-----
      From: igorkupfer@... [mailto:igorkupfer@...]
      Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2003 5:26 PM

      At 11:15 PM 5/8/2003 +0000, aaronkoo wrote:
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, <igorkupfer@r...> wrote:

      face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>  I came up with this quickly: how the Cs perform when Twan played
      above/below average,
      > in
      terms of Manley Credits [tm].

      Win%  PtsDiff   OffRtg    DefRtg

      AboveAvg        0.70    3.49    108.22    104.31

      BelowAvg        0.39   -4.29     99.67    104.48

      [...]

      Yeah, that doesn't seem to be happening here. Bad games from Walker do not seem to translate into good games for other players. Does this mean that defenses don't really key in on him, and that Walker shuts himself down through bad shot selection?

      [...]

                   TOTAL TEAM             TEAM minus WALKER (WIPS)

      Walker  |tmPts Opppts poss | EffFG%   MC  Pts  TotalFG%  OffRtg  poss
      --------+------------------+-----------------------------------------
      <AvgMC  | 87.6  91.7  88.6 | 47.5%  81.4  74.0    47.9%   108.2  68.8
      >AvgMC  | 97.2  94.4
      89.9 | 48.2%  81.5  73.1    47.9%   112.0  65.6
              |                  |
      <AvgFGA | 93.2  93.8  91.3 | 47.2%  86.7  77.2    46.0%   107.7  71.9
      >AvgFGA |
      92.2  92.4  87.6 | 48.5%  76.6  70.0    49.7%   112.5  62.6
              |                  |
      <AvgFG% | 89.7  93.0  90.0 | 48.6%  80.7  73.5    47.8%   110.1  67.2
      >AvgFG% |
      95.5  93.2  88.6 | 47.2%  82.3  73.5    48.0%   110.1  67.1

      [...]

      Of which there are many. The team's success seems to be largely dependant on Walker's performance — I'd hate to think that he alone is just as responsible for his good games as his bad games.

      Well if there were any player for whom those statements would be true (team success largely dependent on a player's performance, and his performance not strongly related to the opposition's apparent defensive strategies), it'd be Walker.  He's surely the captain of the no-conscience team when it comes to shooting and keeping shooting regardless of the situation.   When this works, great, when it doesn't he shoots his team out of games.  And it may well be the case that his good games and bad games are largely determined by chance rather than the opponents' choice of defensive strategies, given Walker's apparent imperviousness to changing his shot selection.

      The WIPS numbers above however suggest that the non-Walker Celtics do benefit from good games from 'Twan, at least as measured by their offensive rating, and based on his MC and FGA performances.

      I haven't seen the original ESPN article; Ed's stats on the Celts' winning % are certainly attention-getting, but to really put them in context we'd need to know how it compares to other teams and players.  E.g. how do the 76ers do when Iverson is above- or below-average in his Manley creds?  (They seem to usually win when he has one of his superman 40+ point games; I don't know however if the correlation would be as strong for his more average games.)

      T-Wolves and Garnett?  Warriors and Arenas?  Magic and McGrady?  And perhaps most relevantly, Celtics and Pierce?

      The LA Times occasionally shows the Lakers' record when Shaq or Kobe accomplish various levels of achievement in a game; in general I don't think there were strong correlations but one would tend to expect that with a two-superstar team where a 35 point night by Shaq usually means that Kobe was relatively quiet.

      Charlie Board recently noted that Duncan had only led the Spurs in scoring twice in the last month or some such thing (or maybe it was leading them in scoring during victories).  One obvious interpretation is that the Spurs though lacking any current superstars besides Duncan (Robinson being an ex-superstar at this point in his career), have pretty good depth in talent with several players who can hurt you in various ways.  So we'd tend to expect a lower correlation between Spurs wins and Duncan performances.

      The Celtic-Walker correlation though does look surprising.  Especially if it's higher than Pierce's.

      There is of course still the problem, which we discussed several years ago in APBR, about correlation and causality.  Blowout wins will tend to shrink the stars' playing time and increase the benchwarmers'.  So that will tend to throw off the stats a bit.

      --MKT
    • aaronkoo
      Message 2 of 11 , May 9 10:20 AM
        > [...]
        >
        > TOTAL TEAM TEAM minus WALKER (WIPS)
        >
        > Walker |tmPts Opppts poss | EffFG% MC Pts TotalFG% OffRtg
        poss
        > --------+------------------+----------------------------------------
        -
        > <AvgMC | 87.6 91.7 88.6 | 47.5% 81.4 74.0 47.9% 108.2
        68.8
        > >AvgMC | 97.2 94.4 89.9 | 48.2% 81.5 73.1 47.9% 112.0
        65.6
        > | |
        > <AvgFGA | 93.2 93.8 91.3 | 47.2% 86.7 77.2 46.0% 107.7
        71.9
        > >AvgFGA | 92.2 92.4 87.6 | 48.5% 76.6 70.0 49.7% 112.5
        62.6
        > | |
        > <AvgFG% | 89.7 93.0 90.0 | 48.6% 80.7 73.5 47.8% 110.1
        67.2
        > >AvgFG% | 95.5 93.2 88.6 | 47.2% 82.3 73.5 48.0% 110.1
        67.1

        > [...]
        >

        > Of which there are many. The team's success seems to be largely
        dependant on Walker's performance - I'd hate to think that he alone
        is just as responsible for his good games as his bad games.

        > Well if there were any player for whom those statements would be
        true (team success largely dependent on a player's performance, and
        his performance not strongly related to the opposition's apparent
        defensive strategies), it'd be Walker. He's surely the captain of
        the no-conscience team when it comes to shooting and keeping shooting
        regardless of the situation. When this works, great, when it
        doesn't he shoots his team out of games. And it may well be the case
        that his good games and bad games are largely determined by chance
        rather than the opponents' choice of defensive strategies, given
        Walker's apparent imperviousness to changing his shot selection.

        I think that there are other examples like Walker, but MikeT's
        statement that he is "captain of the no-conscience team" seems pretty
        accurate. I have looked at Iverson's behavior a bit and I don't see
        quite as strong a correlation as Walker seems to be showing (though I
        did it differently). Iverson does draw strong defensive attention to
        help his teammates, whereas Walker launches shots and it's not clear
        how much defensive help he draws, especially with Pierce around and
        with Walker's rep as a decent passer.

        > The WIPS numbers above however suggest that the non-Walker Celtics
        do benefit from good games from 'Twan, at least as measured by their
        offensive rating, and based on his MC and FGA performances.

        > I haven't seen the original ESPN article; Ed's stats on the Celts'
        winning % are certainly attention-getting, but to really put them in
        context we'd need to know how it compares to other teams and
        players. E.g. how do the 76ers do when Iverson is above- or below-
        average in his Manley creds? (They seem to usually win when he has
        one of his superman 40+ point games; I don't know however if the
        correlation would be as strong for his more average games.)

        > T-Wolves and Garnett? Warriors and Arenas? Magic and McGrady?
        And perhaps most relevantly, Celtics and Pierce?

        All good examples to look at. More subtle ones could be interesting,
        too -- like Detroit and Chauncey Billups or Houston and Steve Francis.

        You do have to worry about blowouts, but with the help of DeanL's db,
        I think we can do really well handling this in the long run.

        DeanO
      • igorkupfer@rogers.com
        Message 3 of 11 , May 9 10:29 AM
          > I think that there are other examples like Walker, but MikeT's
          > statement that he is "captain of the no-conscience team" seems pretty
          > accurate. I have looked at Iverson's behavior a bit and I don't see
          > quite as strong a correlation as Walker seems to be showing (though I
          > did it differently). Iverson does draw strong defensive attention to
          > help his teammates, whereas Walker launches shots and it's not clear
          > how much defensive help he draws, especially with Pierce around and
          > with Walker's rep as a decent passer.

          Hmm. Walker vs Pierce would've been something to look at.

          > > I haven't seen the original ESPN article; Ed's stats on the Celts'
          > winning % are certainly attention-getting, but to really put them in
          > context we'd need to know how it compares to other teams and
          > players. E.g. how do the 76ers do when Iverson is above- or below-
          > average in his Manley creds? (They seem to usually win when he has
          > one of his superman 40+ point games; I don't know however if the
          > correlation would be as strong for his more average games.)
          > >
          > > T-Wolves and Garnett? Warriors and Arenas? Magic and McGrady?
          > And perhaps most relevantly, Celtics and Pierce?
          >
          > All good examples to look at. More subtle ones could be interesting,
          > too -- like Detroit and Chauncey Billups or Houston and Steve Francis.

          I'm just preparing the data now. Are there any other players you'd like to see? I don't
          think it would be that much more trouble to include a few more.
        • aaronkoo
          Message 4 of 11 , May 9 10:36 AM
            --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, <igorkupfer@r...> wrote:
            > > > I haven't seen the original ESPN article; Ed's stats on the
            Celts'
            > > winning % are certainly attention-getting, but to really put them
            in
            > > context we'd need to know how it compares to other teams and
            > > players. E.g. how do the 76ers do when Iverson is above- or
            below-
            > > average in his Manley creds? (They seem to usually win when he
            has
            > > one of his superman 40+ point games; I don't know however if the
            > > correlation would be as strong for his more average games.)
            > > >
            > > > T-Wolves and Garnett? Warriors and Arenas? Magic and McGrady?
            > > And perhaps most relevantly, Celtics and Pierce?
            > >
            > > All good examples to look at. More subtle ones could be
            interesting,
            > > too -- like Detroit and Chauncey Billups or Houston and Steve
            Francis.

            > I'm just preparing the data now. Are there any other players you'd
            like to see? I don't
            > think it would be that much more trouble to include a few more.

            In Philly, supposedly Van Horn was going to be the 2nd guy that is
            important.

            In NO, I'd wonder about Mashburn and Davis' influences.

            In Miami, Eddie Jones.

            In Toronto, it's pretty clear that Vince Carter was important this
            year. The team was much better with him than without him. Not sure
            if the kind of analysis you're doing would show anything.

            Portland is one of the most annoying teams I've seen. They have a
            lot of balance, but I've never been convinced that they should be so
            balanced. The guy who stands out there as a potential driver (though
            in the same sense as Walker) is Bonzi Wells. He can be a
            tremendously valuable player when on, but doesn't know as well as the
            others when to put that shot away when he's bricking.

            Dallas and Michael Finley.

            Good enough from my end.
            Message 5 of 11 , May 9 4:22 PM
              I'd be interested to see the data from the year before and see if it
              held up. One thing that may be producing a larger 'effect' than
              expected is that Walker has obviously been playing with some kind of
              injury during the second half of the year -- all his numbers went in
              the toilet and have continued to do so in the playoffs -- and during
              that same stretch the Celtics, not surprisingly, played far worse
              than during the season's first half.

              So we aren't seeing results of teams shutting down Walker as much as
              we are seeing the result of Walker's health shutting him down, and
              thus are an artifact of his current hobbled state rather than of his
              importance to the Celtics.

            • igorkupfer@rogers.com
              Message 6 of 11 , May 9 8:26 PM
                > I'd be interested to see the data from the year before and see if it
                > held up. One thing that may be producing a larger 'effect' than
                > expected is that Walker has obviously been playing with some kind of
                > injury during the second half of the year -- all his numbers went in
                > the toilet and have continued to do so in the playoffs -- and during
                > that same stretch the Celtics, not surprisingly, played far worse
                > than during the season's first half.
                >
                > So we aren't seeing results of teams shutting down Walker as much as
                > we are seeing the result of Walker's health shutting him down, and
                > thus are an artifact of his current hobbled state rather than of his
                > importance to the Celtics.

                Looks like you're on to something.

                01-02 season, Celtics stats with Antoine Walker's subtracted

                Pts OppPts EffFG% OppEffFG%
                <avg 92.7 93.0 47.5% 46.6%
                >avg 100.0 95.3 49.1% 46.8%

                Here we see something different: when Walker has a bad game, the rest of the Cs also
                have bad games -- perhaps because the teams they face have better defenses.... Nope,
                just checked - the teams against which AW had his better games were defenses just as
                strong as those against which he had his poor performances: 103.0 vs 102.3, although
                the difference is not significant.

                ed