Pace and Chance

  • aaronkoo
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22, 2003
      For those that haven't heard, there is a magazine published by the
      American Statistical Association that has articles on sports in
      fairly layman's terms. It is called Chance and it is partially
      online at

      www.stat.duke.edu/chance

      I'd recommend it if I knew more about it. Right now, I just
      recommend taking a look at it...

      ...in particular there is an article at

      http://www.stat.duke.edu/chance/091.timemanag.pdf

      that discusses the effect of pace on games, a topic we've taken up
      here. I have not read through it very well, but its conclusions are
      along the lines of schtevie's -- that any attempt to use a ball-
      control offense (to control pace) is a bad idea. The percentages
      aren't all that different and I need to read more about how they
      handled strategy. It's worth reading... Then you can fill me in.