MVP

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 22, 2003
      Here's what I would call the 'best players', as far as I can measure
      them statistically:

      46.5 O'Neal,Shaquille LAL
      46.4 Duncan,Tim San
      46.2 Mcgrady,Tracy Orl
      45.5 Garnett,Kevin Min
      42.8 Bryant,Kobe LAL
      41.6 Nowitzki,Dirk Dal
      39.6 Webber,Chris Sac
      39.4 Pierce,Paul Bos
      39.2 Kidd,Jason NJ
      38.6 Malone,Karl Uta
      38.2 O'Neal,Jermaine Ind
      36.5 Iverson,Allen Phi
      35.7 Allen,Ray Sea
      35.2 Nash,Steve Dal
      35.1 Brand,Elton LAC
      35.1 Marion,Shawn Pho
      34.8 Francis,Steve Hou
      34.8 Marbury,Stephon Pho
      34.0 Cassell,Sam Mil
      33.9 Gasol,Pau Mem
      33.9 Mashburn,Jamal NO
      33.6 Payton,Gary Mil
      33.5 Carter,Vince Tor
      33.2 Jordan,Michael Was
      33.1 Ming,Yao Hou

      When I take these numbers (standardized productivity) and recreate
      an 'equivalent production' (accounting for games/minutes), I get
      my 'MVP number'.

      4200 Garnett,Kevin Min
      4094 Duncan,Tim San
      4046 Bryant,Kobe LAL
      3788 Mcgrady,Tracy Orl
      3599 Nowitzki,Dirk Dal
      3536 Iverson,Allen Phi
      3384 Pierce,Paul Bos
      3285 Marion,Shawn Pho
      3274 O'Neal,Shaquille LAL
      3256 Kidd,Jason NJ
      3206 Francis,Steve Hou
      3147 Malone,Karl Uta
      3132 Marbury,Stephon Pho
      3128 Mashburn,Jamal NO
      3041 O'Neal,Jermaine Ind
      2997 Payton,Gary Mil
      2887 Webber,Chris Sac
      2853 Allen,Ray Sea
      2798 Jordan,Michael Was
      2795 Abdur-Rahim,Shar Atl
      2778 Gasol,Pau Mem
      2751 Walker,Antoine Bos
      2687 Jamison,Antawn GS
      2650 Nash,Steve Dal
      2640 Rose,Jalen Chi
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 22, 2003
        Sorry gang, I rushed the previous list into production, and made the
        mistake of doubly-compensating for minutes (gave high-minute players
        too much credit).

        Here's the revised list. The race is closer, and the top 5 places
        are unchanged:

        3959 Garnett,Kevin Min
        3951 Duncan,Tim San
        3746 Bryant,Kobe LAL
        3647 Mcgrady,Tracy Orl
        3492 Nowitzki,Dirk Dal
        3270 Pierce,Paul Bos
        3261 Kidd,Jason NJ
        3248 O'Neal,Shaquille LAL
        3224 Malone,Karl Uta
        3216 Iverson,Allen Phi
        3057 O'Neal,Jermaine Ind
        3033 Marion,Shawn Pho
        2997 Francis,Steve Hou
        2979 Marbury,Stephon Pho
        2949 Mashburn,Jamal NO
        2909 Nash,Steve Dal
        2865 Gasol,Pau Mem
        2847 Payton,Gary Mil
        2827 Allen,Ray Sea
        2823 Jordan,Michael Was
        2793 Webber,Chris Sac
        2761 Abdur-Rahim,Shar Atl
        2701 Cassell,Sam Mil
        2649 Ming,Yao Hou
        2630 Arenas,Gilbert GS

        Payton and Allen aren't really this close. Further refinement to
        come.
      • aaronkoo
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 22, 2003
          > Here's the revised list. The race is closer, and the top 5 places
          > are unchanged:
          >
          > 3959 Garnett,Kevin Min
          > 3951 Duncan,Tim San
          > 3746 Bryant,Kobe LAL
          > 3647 Mcgrady,Tracy Orl
          > 3492 Nowitzki,Dirk Dal
          > 3270 Pierce,Paul Bos
          > 3261 Kidd,Jason NJ
          > 3248 O'Neal,Shaquille LAL
          > 3224 Malone,Karl Uta
          > 3216 Iverson,Allen Phi
          > 3057 O'Neal,Jermaine Ind
          > 3033 Marion,Shawn Pho
          > 2997 Francis,Steve Hou
          > 2979 Marbury,Stephon Pho
          > 2949 Mashburn,Jamal NO
          > 2909 Nash,Steve Dal
          > 2865 Gasol,Pau Mem
          > 2847 Payton,Gary Mil
          > 2827 Allen,Ray Sea
          > 2823 Jordan,Michael Was
          > 2793 Webber,Chris Sac
          > 2761 Abdur-Rahim,Shar Atl
          > 2701 Cassell,Sam Mil
          > 2649 Ming,Yao Hou
          > 2630 Arenas,Gilbert GS
          >
          > Payton and Allen aren't really this close. Further refinement to
          > come.

          I'm curious about your refinement.
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 22, 2003
            --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "aaronkoo" <deano@r...> wrote:
            > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Mike G" <msg_53@h...> wrote:
            > > 3959 Garnett,Kevin Min
            > > 3951 Duncan,Tim San

            > > 2847 Payton,Gary Mil
            > > 2827 Allen,Ray Sea

            > > Payton and Allen aren't really this close. Further refinement to
            > > come.
            >
            > I'm curious about your refinement.

            As I mentioned earlier, I haven't separated out the part-seasons of
            players who were traded mid-season. In other words, Milwaukee's
            relatively robust points-allowed (99.3) are applied to Payton's whole
            season, while Seattle's relatively miserly 92.3 ppg are the
            background for Allen's total stats.

            I have to go to Doug Steele's site, and pick thru each team's stats,
            and hand-enter stats for players traded mid-year. Then I'll sum
            their 'standardized' rates and come up with season ratings. I'll do
            this for a couple of hours / a couple of times.
          • Dean LaVergne
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 22, 2003
              I have those separated if you would like them.

              DeanL

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 24, 2003

                > 3959 Garnett,Kevin Min
                > 3951 Duncan,Tim San
                > 3746 Bryant,Kobe LAL
                > 3647 Mcgrady,Tracy Orl
                > 3492 Nowitzki,Dirk Dal

                The above 5 could be a team. Several players who can pass, no PG
                necessary.

                I didn't see Kobe on members' all-NBA lists. Here he beats out
                McGrady, due to TMac missing some games.

                Duncan is henceforth a center, is now Shaq's equal, and didn't miss
                any games.

                MVP is a dead heat. Sentiment is with the long-suffering KG.
                Besides, if Duncan wins another, he'd be one up on Shaq. Bad karma.

                > 3270 Pierce,Paul Bos
                > 3261 Kidd,Jason NJ
                > 3248 O'Neal,Shaquille LAL
                > 3224 Malone,Karl Uta
                > 3216 Iverson,Allen Phi

                Here we have a 2nd team. Malone is mostly forgotten these days, but
                he still delivers.

                > 3057 O'Neal,Jermaine Ind
                > 3033 Marion,Shawn Pho
                > 2997 Francis,Steve Hou
                > 2979 Marbury,Stephon Pho
                > 2949 Mashburn,Jamal NO

                Well, well: a 3rd team. And Francis gets to be a passing shooter,
                Steph a shooting passer.