most improved players

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 22, 2003
      Without consideration for whether a player is early (and rising) in
      his career, or bouncing back from an off-year, here are my rankings
      for most-improved. Based on increased production from last year, in
      this year's minutes.

      (In other words, if a player had played this year's minutes at last
      year's productivity, how many more points, rebounds, etc. he'd have
      this year.)

      594 Jackson,Stephen San
      579 Murphy,Troy GS
      525 Parker,Tony San
      520 Harpring,Matt Uta
      499 Arenas,Gilbert GS
      482 Mcgrady,Tracy Orl
      460 Jefferson,Richar NJ
      453 Davis,Ricky Cle
      445 Eisley,Howard NY
      437 Howard,Juwan Den
      383 Bryant,Kobe LAL
      350 Martin,Kenyon NJ
      345 O'Neal,Jermaine Ind
      335 Garnett,Kevin Min
      335 Nowitzki,Dirk Dal
      319 Williams,Eric Bos
      305 Bradley,Shawn Dal
      301 Wesley,David NO
      297 Mccoy,Jelani Tor

      S Jackson looks like the hands-down winner. He's been around for a
      few years and has suddenly blossomed.

      Teammate Parker is 2nd-year and may be overlooked because of his
      prominence in last year's playoffs. (After a mediocre rookie season).

      Arenas isn't even the most-improved player on his team. But his
      improvement is across-the-board, as is the case with most players
      near the top of this list.

      The bottom of the list:

      -817 Miller,Andre LAC
      -406 Iverson,Allen Phi
      -403 Payton,Gary Mil
      -372 Jordan,Michael Was
      -312 Walker,Antoine Bos
      -309 Barry,Brent Sea
      -287 Hassell,Trenton Chi
      -280 Clark,Keon Sac
      -269 Mcinnis,Jeff Por
      -267 Williamson,Corli Det
      -250 Peterson,Morris Tor

      Ouch. Andre takes the cake. Bigtime.

      Payton is unfairly listed here, temporarily. Truth is, I haven't
      separated out the split seasons, and his stats are all assigned to
      Milwaukee's relatively poor defensive background.
    • Gary Collard
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 22, 2003
        Mike G wrote:

        > The bottom of the list:
        >
        > -817 Miller,Andre LAC
        > -406 Iverson,Allen Phi
        > -403 Payton,Gary Mil
        > -372 Jordan,Michael Was

        Have to say I am surprised to see Mike here, it was my impression that he
        had been better this year with better health. Or maybe his health is the
        culprit here, as he played longer minutes which is tough on a 40ish year
        old as I can attest :)

        --
        Gary Collard
        SABR-L Moderator
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 23, 2003
          --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Gary Collard <collardg@e...>
          wrote:
          > Mike G wrote:
          > >
          > > The bottom of the list:
          > >
          > > -817 Miller,Andre LAC
          > > -406 Iverson,Allen Phi
          > > -403 Payton,Gary Mil
          > > -372 Jordan,Michael Was
          >
          > Have to say I am surprised to see Mike here, it was my impression
          that he
          > had been better this year with better health.

          Here is the breakdown on Jordan:

          yr min pct sco reb ast stl (TO) blk - total
          02 35 .461 24.1 6.4 5.8 1.5 (2.8) .5 - 37.6
          03 37 .490 21.1 6.5 4.2 1.5 (2.1) .5 - 33.2

          Net of -4.4 per 36 x 3034/36 = -372

          Improvements were in shooting pct and turnovers. While this may
          equal improved offensive efficiency to some, he didn't make up for
          lessened scoring by increased assists. Rather, both were down
          significantly.

          Being on the floor more minutes and having less to do with the ball
          may suit certain offensive makeups. In this case, I think it was
          just the inevitable effects of age/fatigue. It's a pretty smooth
          continuation of the decline first noted about 1995.

          The 3 years off probably bought MJ another year or so of productive
          age. The rust was thicker last year (bad shooting %), but the fire
          had dimmed by this season.