seasonal awards

  • harlanzo
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 18, 2003
      Any opinions on seasonal awards? Here is my unsolicited list:

      mvp: duncan
      rook: ming
      most improved: Arenas
      6th Man: Kirilenko
      Defense: Ben Wallace
      Coach: Popovich
      GM: Colangelo
      First Team All NBA: pg-Kidd
      sg-Mcgrady
      sf-Garnett
      pf-Duncan
      C-Shaq
    • Andy Finkelstein
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 18, 2003
        MVP - Duncan is a strong choice, but I wouldn't be surprised to see McGrady get it, hell, or even Garnett or Bryant for that matter...

        Rookie - Gotta disagree here, and give it to Amare Stoudemire of Phoenix. In a couple years Yao will definitely be a prime force in the league, but based on this season alone, I think Stoudemire deserves it.

        Most improved - I like Arenas, but think Jefferson of NJ could get some consideration as well

        6th Man - Again, I like Kirilenko, but have a feeling it'll go to Malik Rose of the Spurs

        Defense - Ben Wallace, hands down - no questions asked!

        Coach - Popovich seems like a reasonable choice - I wonder if Musselman in GS will get any votes; granted, his team didn't make the playoffs but they seemed *so* much better than they were the year before, essentially without any major personnel changes....

        GM - Colangelo, no question here... What he has done to get the Suns back into the playoffs *is* remarkable!

        1st team All NBA
        PG - Jason Kidd, NJ w/honorable mentions going to Steve Nash of Dallas and Mike Bibby of Sacramento
        SG - Kobe Bryant, LAL - I know McGrady had a monster season but Kobe seemed more consistent to me throughout the whole year
        SF - Can't argue w/Garnett tho'  I can't grasp the concept of a 6'11" *small* forward; of course, I suppose Nowitzki *is* 7 feet.....
        PF - Duncan wins by a nose over Webber for me...
        C - Shaq (hands down, no other center even comes close!)

        Just my opinions, so flame away if you want, it won't bother me,
        Andy

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 20, 2003
            MVP: McGrady

            Rook: Yao

            Improved: Can't be Arenas. He hasn't played any better than last
            year; he's just played more. I don't like voting any second years,
            for that matter. To me, it has to be Harpring.

            Sixth Man: Redd. Will be an All-Star the day they move him into
            starting lineup.

            Coach: Could be anyone. I'll say Popovich.

            Exec: Gotta be Dumars.

            All-NBA: Bryant, McGrady, Garnett, Duncan, Shaq. Not sure how a
            different five is possible unless one insists on a true point guard.

            --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "harlanzo" <harlanzo@y...>
            wrote:
            > Any opinions on seasonal awards? Here is my unsolicited list:
            >
            > mvp: duncan
            > rook: ming
            > most improved: Arenas
            > 6th Man: Kirilenko
            > Defense: Ben Wallace
            > Coach: Popovich
            > GM: Colangelo
            > First Team All NBA: pg-Kidd
            > sg-Mcgrady
            > sf-Garnett
            > pf-Duncan
            > C-Shaq
          • harlanzo
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 20, 2003
              <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:
              > Improved: Can't be Arenas. He hasn't played any better than last
              > year; he's just played more. I don't like voting any second years,
              > for that matter. To me, it has to be Harpring.

              I think maintaining a per minute productivity at a higher rate of
              minutes is not a given and is impressive. I'd generally agree with
              you about second year players but if a guy came into the league as a
              fringe player, i think it is fair to make an exception.
            • bchaikin@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 20, 2003

                gilbert arenas also increased his touches/min by 20%, from 1.4 to 1.7 touches/min, a large responsibility. so not only did he play 10 more min per game, but he handled the ball much more...

                harpring also handled the ball 20-25% more than the year before, but only 0.88 touches/min compared to 0.70 touches/min and similar to how often he handled it two years earlier. he did tho vastly improve his shooting overall (on 2pters, 3pters, and FT shooting)...

                tough call on choosing between the two....

                bob chaikin
                bchaikin@...
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 21, 2003
                  But that didn't happen. Arenas started the last month of the season
                  and put up the exact same numbers. But he was on a crap team so
                  nobody noticed.

                  wrote:
                  > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "John Hollinger"
                  > <alleyoop2@y...> wrote:
                  > > Improved: Can't be Arenas. He hasn't played any better than last
                  > > year; he's just played more. I don't like voting any second
                  years,
                  > > for that matter. To me, it has to be Harpring.
                  >
                  > I think maintaining a per minute productivity at a higher rate of
                  > minutes is not a given and is impressive. I'd generally agree with
                  > you about second year players but if a guy came into the league as
                  > fringe player, i think it is fair to make an exception.
                • john wallace craven
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 21, 2003
                    On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, harlanzo wrote:

                    > Any opinions on seasonal awards? Here is my unsolicited list:
                    >
                    > mvp: duncan

                    I agree with Duncan.

                    > rook: ming

                    No way. Amare Stoudemire was just incredible this year.

                    > most improved: Arenas
                    > 6th Man: Kirilenko
                    > Defense: Ben Wallace

                    I'd go with Duncan again; the guy is such an awesome offensive player that
                    IMO his excellent defense gets overlooked. It's about time this should be
                    recognized.

                    > Coach: Popovich

                    Frank Johnson for sure.

                    > GM: Colangelo

                    Total homer vote, but I go with Rick Sund for managing to get rid of Vin
                    Baker.

                    > First Team All NBA: pg-Kidd
                    > sg-Mcgrady
                    > sf-Garnett
                    > pf-Duncan
                    > C-Shaq

                    Looks pretty good to me, although I don't think KG's playing much 3
                    anymore.

                    John Craven
                  • Al Hoffman
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 21, 2003
                      john wallace craven wrote:

                      > On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, harlanzo wrote:
                      >
                      > > Any opinions on seasonal awards? Here is my unsolicited list:
                      > >
                      > > mvp: duncan
                      >
                      > I agree with Duncan.

                      Agreed although I might go with Garnett.....

                      > > rook: ming
                      >
                      > No way. Amare Stoudemire was just incredible this year.

                      Another tough one... both guys had down spots whey seemingly hit the
                      wall... Stoudemire gets my vote because his didn't last as long and he
                      bounced back.

                      > > most improved: Arenas

                      Not sure about this one.... did Arenas improve that much or did his
                      minutes just grow? Be interesting to check (too tired to do so right
                      now :P) I'll have to think about this one (And, just for the record, I
                      love Arenas- he was one of the better players on my fantasy team).

                      > > 6th Man: Kirilenko

                      Agree with that one.

                      > > Defense: Ben Wallace
                      >
                      > I'd go with Duncan again; the guy is such an awesome offensive player that
                      > IMO his excellent defense gets overlooked. It's about time this should be
                      > recognized.

                      I'd still go with Wallace here.

                      > > Coach: Popovich
                      >
                      > Frank Johnson for sure.

                      Maybe, but my pick might be Musselman.... who expected G.S. to flirt
                      with .500 this year?

                      > > GM: Colangelo
                      >
                      > Total homer vote, but I go with Rick Sund for managing to get rid of Vin
                      > Baker.

                      Oh the humanity.... Boston's GM should get dumped in Boston Harbor for
                      that one....

                      Al
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 21, 2003
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 22, 2003
                          wrote:
                          > Any opinions on seasonal awards? Here is my unsolicited list:

                          I haven't done anywhere near the calcs I usually do to this point.
                          Too much other stuff to do, but I have some off the numbers comments.

                          > mvp: duncan

                          Not a bad pick. With how much the Lakers improved once Shaq was
                          back, I'm almost tempted to give it to him. I think it showed how
                          much more valuable he and Kobe are than Kobe is individually.

                          > rook: ming

                          I did some calcs in February and Ming was definitely ahead of
                          Stoudemire. I was surprised. The problem with Ming is what we
                          talked about at the start of the season -- he doesn't play the
                          greatest D. Stoudemire exceeded expectations. Ming started off well
                          enough to put expectations higher than he reached, though the
                          expectations at the start of the season were all over the place.

                          > most improved: Arenas

                          Out in Warrior land here, everyone is voting for Murphy. His
                          improvement was somewhat unexpected though he and so many Warriors
                          worked really hard in the offseason.

                          > 6th Man: Kirilenko

                          Uh, I don't follow this one.

                          > Defense: Ben Wallace

                          Yeah, though I really want to look harder at this category for other
                          players who could fill in the All-Defense team. Last I looked,
                          Wallace was pretty far and away the best defensively by numbers.

                          > Coach: Popovich

                          Local bias is for Musselman. We knew the Warriors would be better
                          (the Vegas over-under on win total was 28 or 30 and I definitely
                          thought that was low), but they had the look of a team with a great
                          future -- assuming they find a way to hold on to Arenas, for whom
                          they really don't have a replacement.

                          Rick Carlisle is another great choice. Sloan and Popovich get some
                          credit, but I wouldn't put them near the top. Phil Jackson always
                          deserves consideration.

                          > GM: Colangelo

                          Possibly. Maybe Dumars.

                          > First Team All NBA: pg-Kidd
                          > sg-Mcgrady
                          > sf-Garnett
                          > pf-Duncan
                          > C-Shaq

                          Interesting that Harlan's list doesn't have Kobe. I've been thinking
                          about comparing Kobe with Penny Hardaway back in the Orlando days
                          when he had Shaq nearby. Penny has been nowhere near what he was
                          when Shaq was around, though partly due to injuries. Without Shaq in
                          Orlando, I believe Penny carried the Magic to the first round of the
                          playoffs, doing a ton, getting a lot of credit, but ultimately not
                          going very far. Kobe scored a ton of points with Shaq out but
                          couldn't even get the Lakers to playoff position on his own. If
                          Penny could fall so far to where he is now, does that say something
                          about Kobe?

                          Back to the subject. I think Nowitzki needs to be in here. Not sure
                          how unless you call him the off guard and move McGrady to PG. Kidd
                          doesn't belong except that he plays the position. Clearly a team
                          with Garnett, Duncan, and Shaq would bog down with way too many guys
                          within 15' of the basket. Garnett/Duncan are pretty much a wash.
                          I'd rather have Nowitzki on the floor than both of those guys.

                          Is the era of point guards really over? It seemed like we had truly
                          outstanding PGs from 1980 to 2000 or so, but I don't really put Kidd,
                          Marbury, Nash, and the crew with Magic, Stockton, KJ, IThomas, Fat
                          Lever, Terry Porter, Derek Harper, Rod Strickland, Marc Jackson, Doc
                          Rivers, and all those PGs from the late 1980s.

                          DeanO
                        • harlanzo
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 22, 2003
                            The problem with giving Rick SUnd/wally walker or whoever runs the
                            Sonics exec of the year is that they are the ones who signed Baker
                            to an abysmal contract. The fact that they were able to extract
                            the bullet from their self-inflicted gun shot wound is good but
                            they don't deserve an award for it. I like payton for allen but I
                            don't love it. And they dumped some cash on jerome james.

                            It is true that there are no really good candidates this year:

                            Dumars: he found Okur which is good. Hamilton for Stackhouse was
                            probably a wash or no more than a slight edge. Signing Billups was
                            good too but not great. Finally he signed CRob to a multi-year deal
                            when he really did not have to. That's not a great year.

                            Philly: The got a real player (van Horn) for mutombo. Again not
                            that great.

                            Phoenix: drafted Stoudemire.

                            SAcramento: got Keon Clark for a song and JJackson off the scrap
                            heap.

                            NOt a great field. I am inclined to give phoenix the credit.
                          • john wallace craven
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 22, 2003
                              On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, harlanzo wrote:

                              > The problem with giving Rick SUnd/wally walker or whoever runs the
                              > Sonics exec of the year is that they are the ones who signed Baker
                              > to an abysmal contract.

                              Well, that was Wally, not Sund (I want to get away from putting Walker in
                              the pillory the way that so many current and former Sonics fans have done,
                              but...).

                              > The fact that they were able to extract
                              > the bullet from their self-inflicted gun shot wound is good but
                              > they don't deserve an award for it. I like payton for allen but I
                              > don't love it. And they dumped some cash on jerome james.

                              I fully admit that it was nothing more than a homer vote. In reality, I'd
                              probably have to give Executive of the Year to Jerry Colangelo for making
                              people realize that yes, you could trade Jason Kidd away and still win
                              games.

                              > It is true that there are no really good candidates this year:
                              >
                              > Dumars: he found Okur which is good. Hamilton for Stackhouse was
                              > probably a wash or no more than a slight edge. Signing Billups was
                              > good too but not great. Finally he signed CRob to a multi-year deal
                              > when he really did not have to. That's not a great year.
                              >
                              > Philly: The got a real player (van Horn) for mutombo. Again not
                              > that great.
                              >
                              > Phoenix: drafted Stoudemire.
                              >
                              > SAcramento: got Keon Clark for a song and JJackson off the scrap
                              > heap.
                              >
                              > NOt a great field. I am inclined to give phoenix the credit.

                              Don't forget San Antonio's GM. He's effectively rebuilt a Spurs team which
                              as late as 2 years ago looked hopelessly old (outside of Duncan, of
                              course).

                              John Craven
                            • ankurvdesai
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 29, 2003
                                tough calls.

                                mvp: i'll take duncan, i guess, but it's close.

                                roy: yao. relative to position, hands down the best rookie. can you
                                imagine the kind of impact amare might have had if he spent a couple
                                of years with caliparo first?

                                6th man: kirilenko. terrific defense, efficient shooting.

                                improved: harpring. the only guy this year i feel like you can ask
                                the question "where the heck did that come from?" about and not have
                                a decent answer.

                                coach: this is tough. you have to like the job frank johnson did in
                                phoenix this season, integrating a rookie and a headcase into one of
                                the 12 or so best teams in basketball. maurice cheeks also deserves
                                some credit for yet another season of zero fatalities. i'll give it
                                to flip saunders, though, for taking garnett and not much else to
                                hca. they're the fifth best team in basketball. unfortunately, the
                                four ahead of them all play in the same conference.

                                exec: i hate this award, since it's so short-sighted; good nba moves
                                often-- maybe even usually-- take over a year to really work
                                themselves out. for the last year, the best single move was probably
                                dumping vin baker on a totally unsuspecting chris wallace, but the
                                rest of sund's moves haven't really been any great shakes. i'm
                                tempted to give it to nelly for finally leaving his team alone.
                                paxson got his cavs off to a pretty good start towards rebuilding,
                                netting a couple of decent talents in the draft and apparently
                                dumping andre miller at exactly the right time. i guess i'd give it
                                to petrie for somehow improving an already-great team and giving it
                                the depth it needed to treat an injury-plagued regular season to what
                                i see as a totally inevitable nba championship, while netting an
                                extra first-rounder to boot.

                                all nba: pretty uncontroversial. kobe, tmac, kg, duncan, and shaq.
                              • ankurvdesai