Re: Seattle Resurgence?

  • monepeterson
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 2, 2003
      > 2. When the trade happened, I saw it as a boost for the offense

      >with a potential for making the team a 50+ win playoff caliber

      >version fairly soon. Ray Allen is that much better than Gary Payton

      >at this point. They key goes beyond Ray, though, to other guys like

      >Rashard Lewis, Radmanovic, and James.

      Dean, if you can do so without compromising your position with the
      Sonics, can you comment more at length on #2? I understand Ray being
      more efficient than Payton, but how does this help the other players?

      > 4. Jerome James could be a big part of that or not a part of it.

      > He is definitely erratic. In his short minutes on the court, he can

      > make a HUGE difference in the game, either on the positive side or

      > the negative. I have a lot of work to do in studying his potential

      > for contribution.

      I'm just remembering earlier in the season when McMillan said
      something about James being self-centered, and Jerome's response was
      "I don't know what he's talking about. I just take care of Jerome."
      Had to be the quote of the year.

      Moné
    • aaronkoo
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 11, 2003
        > What matters is that x points and y rebounds occurred in z minutes.

        This is actually misleading. I won't say wrong, but misleading.
        Pace is very important. Many of the individual stats are offensive
        and without adjustment for pace overweight players who just put up a
        lot of offensive stats _per minute_. And pace is mostly (not
        entirely) a function of a decision about pace, not ability (though
        ability has a small impact). How fast or slow teams play reflects
        primarily on their style not their substance. How many points and
        rebounds per minute reflects both style and substance. Removing pace
        more isolates the substance.

        The way common possessions do it is by isolating another variable in
        addition to minutes that is common between both teams on the floor.
        Both teams have 48 minutes to win. Both teams have 100 possessions
        to win in a fast game or 85 in a slow game or whatever. But both
        opponents have the same number (not true with small possessions
        = "plays"). So, yes, what matters is what happens per minute, but it
        is equivalent to say that what matters is what happens per
        possession. And what happens per possession isolates quality better
        than what happens per minute.