Re: [APBR_analysis] Seattle Resurgence?

  • igorkupfer@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 1, 2003
      From: "Michael Tamada" <tamada@...>
      To: <APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 4:18 PM
      Subject: RE: [APBR_analysis] Seattle Resurgence?

      [...]

      > What I haven't seen any mention of in this group, and just a few cryptic articles
      > in the media: what's up with Forte? Some articles said he was constantly
      > critical of, and not getting on with, the team and the players and so he was
      > suspended basically for insubordination and being a team cancer.

      There was this:

      "Forte, the little-used guard who was suspended Thursday for one game and docked about
      $11,000 in pay for conduct detrimental to the team, [...] was still speaking out about
      how the Sonics 'wronged' him and said he filed a claim with the NBA Players
      Association.

      "Forte ... was suspended after an altercation with 7-1 center Jerome James after the
      Sonics lost to Washington on Wednesday.

      "Reportedly, Forte was singing in the shower to express happiness for the Wizards'
      Michael Jordan and Brendan Haywood, both fellow North Carolina Tar Heels.

      "James didn't appreciate it and approached the guard about it, according to Forte. The
      latter was in a towel and became fearful when he was approached by James, so he fought
      back.

      "'I'm common-people size and he ran up on me,' said Forte, who said the scene was
      similar to when James had to be held back by Gary Payton from trying to attack Sonics
      Coach Nate McMillan earlier this season. 'Had he hit me he could have killed me. I'm
      the victim in this situation and I'm going to continue to speak out about this. ...
      When there's a fight, both parties are suspended.'"

      from http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/134665022_soni30.html

      ed
    • aaronkoo
      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 11, 2003
        > What matters is that x points and y rebounds occurred in z minutes.

        This is actually misleading. I won't say wrong, but misleading.
        Pace is very important. Many of the individual stats are offensive
        and without adjustment for pace overweight players who just put up a
        lot of offensive stats _per minute_. And pace is mostly (not
        entirely) a function of a decision about pace, not ability (though
        ability has a small impact). How fast or slow teams play reflects
        primarily on their style not their substance. How many points and
        rebounds per minute reflects both style and substance. Removing pace
        more isolates the substance.

        The way common possessions do it is by isolating another variable in
        addition to minutes that is common between both teams on the floor.
        Both teams have 48 minutes to win. Both teams have 100 possessions
        to win in a fast game or 85 in a slow game or whatever. But both
        opponents have the same number (not true with small possessions
        = "plays"). So, yes, what matters is what happens per minute, but it
        is equivalent to say that what matters is what happens per
        possession. And what happens per possession isolates quality better
        than what happens per minute.