RE: [APBR_analysis] Seattle Resurgence?

    Message 1 of 34 , Apr 1, 2003
      There was some notice in the media when they went 4-1 or 6-1 or whatever it was
      after the trade, but they've cooled down since then, playing decent but not
      great or at any rate not consistent ball.

      So resurgence might be too strong a word, but it is nice to see them doing some
      good things, such as kicking the Lakers all over the floor of the Key Arena.

      What I haven't seen any mention of in this group, and just a few cryptic articles
      in the media: what's up with Forte? Some articles said he was constantly
      critical of, and not getting on with, the team and the players and so he was
      suspended basically for insubordination and being a team cancer.

      Message 34 of 34 , Apr 11, 2003
        > What matters is that x points and y rebounds occurred in z minutes.

        This is actually misleading. I won't say wrong, but misleading.
        Pace is very important. Many of the individual stats are offensive
        and without adjustment for pace overweight players who just put up a
        lot of offensive stats _per minute_. And pace is mostly (not
        entirely) a function of a decision about pace, not ability (though
        ability has a small impact). How fast or slow teams play reflects
        primarily on their style not their substance. How many points and
        rebounds per minute reflects both style and substance. Removing pace
        more isolates the substance.

        The way common possessions do it is by isolating another variable in
        addition to minutes that is common between both teams on the floor.
        Both teams have 48 minutes to win. Both teams have 100 possessions
        to win in a fast game or 85 in a slow game or whatever. But both
        opponents have the same number (not true with small possessions
        = "plays"). So, yes, what matters is what happens per minute, but it
        is equivalent to say that what matters is what happens per
        possession. And what happens per possession isolates quality better
        than what happens per minute.