Re: Hall Of Fame

  • Charles Board
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2003
      > I think you're all forgetting the HOF is combined college and pro. I
      > agree with the sentiment that Worthy was mightily overrated as a pro,
      > but collegiately he was the national player of the year on a team
      > that won the NCAA title, which means he's walking right in. Worthy
      > was also MVP of the 88 finals, which has to count for something.

      Point of fact...Worthy was never a National Player Of The Year winner
      (at least not of any of the major awards that the NCAA recognizes).
      In fact, he was never even the Player Of The Year in his own
      conference.

      While I'll agree that you have to factor in his college career and
      ackowledge his role as "The Man" on an NCAA title team....

      ...that said, his college career wasn't exactlty (or at least obviously) HOF caliber itself.
      He only played two
      and a half years, averaged under 15ppg, never won his conference POY, was only
      first-team All-Conference once, was *never* a unanamous first team All-American
      (AP had him second team in '82). His most noteworthy accomplishment - the
      tremendous Final Four he had in '82 - is at least somewhat offset by the godawful
      one he had in '81 (5-for-19 with 15 pts over two games).

      His college career was very much like his pro one......extremely short, lots of winning,
      statistically unimpressive, and surrounded by so much talent that it's hard to determine
      how much responsiblity to give him.

      I still say he's not HOF material, but given the weak slate of nominees this year he
      probably gets in.