Re: Hall of Fame

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 12, 2003
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "harlanzo" <harlanzo@y...>
      wrote:
      > Anyone have opinions on the nominees this year? I'll give mine
      > quickly:
      >
      > Robert Parish: In, was very good (not great) for so long.

      Agree, Parish should go in for several reasons: humongous career
      totals, key man on great teams; and he stepped up his game when Bird
      faltered, keeping the Celtics respectable.

      > James Worthy: I think he was actually a tad overrated. good but
      not
      > so different from tons of other good scoring small forwards.

      Ignoring the postseason, this would be a true statement. Postseason,
      he was monster. Marginal Top 50 in my book.

      > Dennis Johnson: all star on seattle and phoenix decent on Boston.
      > closer but not quite.

      DJ is a sentimental choice. Had a knack for big plays and was a
      defensive stalwart

      > Adrian Dantley: had a nice scoring run on utah. but he was a jerk
      > and his teams were just as good (if not better) after he was traded/

      Hmmm. He was an offensive superman. I don't see much in comparing
      before and after a trade. If the trade is even, there shouldn't be a
      difference.

      In 1983, AD was out all but 22 games, and Utah's W-L % was .349
      In '84, he played 79 G, and Utah was .549
      In '85, he played 55 G, and Utah was .496

      Though that's only part of the story; but on this one, I think
      Harlan's synopsis is stooping just a bit.

      > Bobby Jones: wow. this one is not even close. role player not
      much
      > more.

      I keep forgetting, there are superstars and role players, and nothing
      in between.

      Overall, agree with Harlan except for his shortchanging Dantley and
      Jones, and Worthy's remarkable playoff performances.

      While I'm at it, Harlan's website is itself terrific stuff. He's
      really steeped in the best basketball traditions, and knowledgeable
      where it matters. Check it out if you haven't:

      http://www.hoopsanalyst.com/
    • Ed Weiland
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 12, 2003
        --- harlanzo <harlanzo@...> wrote:
        > Anyone have opinions on the nominees this year?
        > I'll give mine
        > quickly:
        >
        > Robert Parish: In, was very good (not great) for so
        > long.

        Agreed

        > James Worthy: I think he was actually a tad
        > overrated. good but not
        > so different from tons of other good scoring small
        > forwards.

        Overrated, but also an key part of a great all-time
        team. In the past this has been given a lot of weight.
        I'm guessing Worthy gets in. I say he deserves the
        honor too.

        > Dennis Johnson: all star on seattle and phoenix
        > decent on Boston.
        > closer but not quite.

        Long career, played for more than one champion. My
        first impulse is that he doesn't belong, but if Worthy
        gets in you have to look at DJ too, IMO.

        > Adrian Dantley: had a nice scoring run on utah. but
        > he was a jerk
        > and his teams were just as good (if not better)
        > after he was traded/

        Agreed. He could score, but didn't seem to have much
        impact on his team's success.

        > Bobby Jones: wow. this one is not even close. role
        > player not much
        > more.

        Jones was all-defensive first team 10 times, two of
        those in the ABA, and he played in 4 all-star games.
        He was more than a role player, but probably not a
        HOFer.

        > Gus Johnson: was a great power forward but his
        > career was a bit too
        > short to get in in my opinion.
        >
        > Chet Walker: I never really considered him great or
        > a star. a
        > player like this needs a longer career to get in.
        >
        > Maurice Cheeks: he really was a good player but
        > always subsidiary to
        > true stars. there are many better pguards since.
        >
        > Walter DAvis: another really good shooting guard who
        > was not much of
        > a defender or passer. I like him but I think there
        > are better
        > candidates.

        Agreed on Johnson, Walker and Davis. Cheeks deserves a
        longer look, IMO. Top ten all-time in steals and
        assists. Career FG pct. of .523 is incredible for a
        PG. I think there's a solid case here for Mo.

        Ed

      • harlanzo
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 12, 2003

          > > James Worthy: I think he was actually a tad overrated. good but
          > not
          > > so different from tons of other good scoring small forwards.
          >
          > Ignoring the postseason, this would be a true statement.
          Postseason,
          > he was monster. Marginal Top 50 in my book.

          I would not want to overweigh his post season career too much. With
          Magic gone, Worthy was not great in the playoffs. I would not want
          to overcredit a subsidiary player in the playoffs if a similar
          player (Mike Mitchell, Mike Woodson) might have been able to rack up
          good playoff games with magic too. This is not to say that these
          guys are as good as Worthy but there are a bunch of SFs(Bernard
          King, Adrian Dantley, Chris Mullin etc) who were good and had some
          good playoff games too.

          > > Adrian Dantley: had a nice scoring run on utah. but he was a
          jerk
          > > and his teams were just as good (if not better) after he was
          traded/

          > Hmmm. He was an offensive superman. I don't see much in
          comparing
          > before and after a trade. If the trade is even, there shouldn't
          be a
          > difference.
          >
          > In 1983, AD was out all but 22 games, and Utah's W-L % was .349
          > In '84, he played 79 G, and Utah was .549
          > In '85, he played 55 G, and Utah was .496
          >
          > Though that's only part of the story; but on this one, I think
          > Harlan's synopsis is stooping just a bit.

          Here are Dantley's yearly records on Utah and his ppg:

          1979-80 24-58 and 28.0
          1980-81 28-54 and 30.7
          1981-82 25-57 and 30.3
          1982-83 30-52 and DAntley injured for all but 22 games
          1983-84 45-37 and 30.6
          1984-85 41-41 and 26.7
          1985-86 42-40 and 29.8
          1986-87 44-38 and Dantley traded for Tripucka

          On Detroit Dantley was good but the team won two championships after
          he was traded. My conclusion, Dantley was a good scorer but hardly
          irreplaceable. You combined that with the fact that a lot of people
          hated him, there is strong argument is not HOF material.

          > > Bobby Jones: wow. this one is not even close. role player not
          > much
          > > more.
          >
          > I keep forgetting, there are superstars and role players, and
          nothing
          > in between.

          Role player is an oversimplification but he went from good regular
          to role player. He still is not close to HOF.

          >> While I'm at it, Harlan's website is itself terrific stuff. He's
          > really steeped in the best basketball traditions, and
          knowledgeable
          > where it matters. Check it out if you haven't:
          >
          > http://www.hoopsanalyst.com/

          Thanks for the pop Mike. I'll use the opportunity to again solicit
          articles for the site. We have gotten a number of people posted on
          the site from apbr_analysis. anything hoops related you want to
          write about is welcomed and encouraged. If you don't want to write
          too much, we also like people unveiling methods/formulae and lists
          ranking players as a result. DeanO recently did it, it's fun easy
          and not time consuming. You can reach me at either
          info@... or harlanzo@.... Thanks
        • aaronkoo
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 12, 2003
            wrote:
            > Anyone have opinions on the nominees this year? I'll give mine
            > quickly:
            >
            > Robert Parish: In, was very good (not great) for so long.
            >
            > James Worthy: I think he was actually a tad overrated. good but
            not
            > so different from tons of other good scoring small forwards.

            I'll play dissenter here. Parish and Worthy are very comparable
            players in terms of overall contribution. They were very valuable
            when playing with great players. They didn't have to do a lot
            offensively or defensively. What they did, they did very well. The
            fact that Parish did it longer doesn't mean much to me but means
            something. Neither were very successful when they had to go without
            the big stars but their primes correlated with when the stars were
            there and they were not in their primes when on their own. From an
            objective perspective, I keep these guys out of the Hall. From a
            relative perspective, I'm sure you can find guys in the Hall that
            don't deserve it as much as these guys. (Haven't looked at their
            playoff numbers.)

            152 and 110 are the respective HOF monitor points from the reference.

            > Dennis Johnson: all star on seattle and phoenix decent on Boston.
            > closer but not quite.

            No. 134.

            > Adrian Dantley: had a nice scoring run on utah. but he was a jerk
            > and his teams were just as good (if not better) after he was traded/

            College career impressive and important. Pro career -- was great
            offensive player but horrid defensive player to the point it almost
            neutralized his offense. Guys didn't really like playing with him --
            and I can't measure that. He's a legit possibility for his pro
            career, but I'd definitely hesitate. 130.

            > Bobby Jones: wow. this one is not even close. role player not
            much
            > more.

            Role player offensively but legitimately great defender. If some of
            those old Celtics could get in, he could. But I maintain the high
            standards of MikeT. 93.

            > Gus Johnson: was a great power forward but his career was a bit too
            > short to get in in my opinion.
            >
            > Chet Walker: I never really considered him great or a star. a
            > player like this needs a longer career to get in.
            >
            > Maurice Cheeks: he really was a good player but always subsidiary
            > true stars. there are many better pguards since.
            >
            > Walter DAvis: another really good shooting guard who was not much
            of
            > a defender or passer. I like him but I think there are better
            > candidates.

            100. 113. 118. 112.

            Worthy's HOF Monitor points actually among the lowest of the group.
          • Gary Collard
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 12, 2003
              harlanzo wrote:

              > Anyone have opinions on the nominees this year? I'll give mine
              > quickly:
              >
              > Robert Parish: In, was very good (not great) for so long.

              In, easily, due to career value.

              > James Worthy: I think he was actually a tad overrated. good but not
              > so different from tons of other good scoring small forwards.

              In, not a slam dunk but his playoff performances and being a key to a
              dynasty team puts him over the top.

              > Dennis Johnson: all star on seattle and phoenix decent on Boston.
              > closer but not quite.

              Very close, falls a bit short to me but would not be a bad selection.

              > Adrian Dantley: had a nice scoring run on utah. but he was a jerk
              > and his teams were just as good (if not better) after he was traded

              Such a liability on defense and poor rebounder that I can't seriously
              consider him.

              > Bobby Jones: wow. this one is not even close. role player not much
              > more.

              The Bill Mazeroski candidate. Great defensive player, but others have been
              at least as good so no way.

              > Gus Johnson: was a great power forward but his career was a bit too
              > short to get in in my opinion.

              Same for me, that short woudl require a dominant player.

              > Chet Walker: I never really considered him great or a star. a
              > player like this needs a longer career to get in.

              Like DJ, I do not support him but would not be horrified if he got in.

              > Maurice Cheeks: he really was a good player but always subsidiary to
              > true stars. there are many better pguards since.

              Yes, excellent but not a HOFer.

              > Walter DAvis: another really good shooting guard who was not much of
              > a defender or passer. I like him but I think there are better
              > candidates.

              Not a serious candidate.

              For the other North American non-college candidates, Chick Hearn,
              Meadowlark Lemon and Tex Winter get my vote.

              --
              Gary Collard
              SABR-L Moderator

              "If you embrace containment, you must accept proliferation, and
              proliferation - not just unchecked but accelerated - will make the
              violent century just passed seem an era of remarkable tranquility in
              comparison." -- Senator John McCain
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 15, 2003
                I think you're all forgetting the HOF is combined college and pro. I
                agree with the sentiment that Worthy was mightily overrated as a pro,
                but collegiately he was the national player of the year on a team
                that won the NCAA title, which means he's walking right in. Worthy
                was also MVP of the 88 finals, which has to count for something.

                After Worthy, I'd take DJ over Parish for one reason: He was the best
                player on a team that won the championship. He also made all-NBA
                once. Chief could never come close to making that claim. DJ can go in
                the Hall's new "All-Ugly" wing.

                He's my third choice from the list, but I actually think Parish
                belong as well. IMHO the Hall has too few professional players and
                far too many college coaches.

                Dantley is No. 4 on the list. 30 ppg four straight years is hard to
                ignore, but he never made all-NBA first team and only made second-
                team twice. I say leave him out.

                The other guys are a bunch of Vada Pinsons. Nice stats, good players,
                but stay out of my Hall please.

                --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Gary Collard <collardg@e...>