Re: [APBR_analysis] Poll results for APBR_analysis

  • Gary Collard
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 7, 2003
      Very interesting that somebody picked Detroit, or any Least team for that
      matter as there are at least 6 West teams that look better than any of them
      to me. Not trying to embarrass anybody, just wondering if the voter still
      feels that way after Detroit recently went 0-6 in a stretch of road games
      against the West?

      --
      Gary Collard
      SABR-L Moderator

      "Every time I see the U.S. flag, I don't see the flag only
      representative of a country, but I see it as a symbol of
      democracy and of freedom."
      -- Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi
    • aaronkoo
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 7, 2003
        Not really having done much research before making my selection, I
        can definitely see why a few people picked the Spurs.

        We'll do this again right before the playoffs to see what happens to
        general opinion.

        --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Gary Collard <collardg@e...>

        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 7, 2003
          wrote:
          > Very interesting that somebody picked Detroit, or any Least team
          for that
          > matter as there are at least 6 West teams that look better than any
          of them

          Yeah, I was playing the odds.

          The odds of any one team in the West are diminished by competition
          within the conference. So even reaching the Finals seems a 25%
          chance at best, from the west.

          In the East, my Pacers were looking soft. The big guys haven't
          proven themselves in postseason, Reggie can't carry them all forever,
          and Artest is, well...

          Pistons looked like they may have the best chance of Reaching the
          Finals; and maybe the West representative will be exhausted, injured,
          etc.

          When I was a kid, there was a contest to predict the score of some
          big basketball game. Our high school was a big favorite, but my
          older brother picked the other team. We lost, and he won, not
          because the score was terribly close, but because he was the Only kid
          who picked us to lose. (Didn't make him especially popular).

          What amazes me here and now is how this group has stampeded into the
          Kings camp. Not one vote for the Mavs.
        • bchaikin@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Apr 20, 2003

            if no one else is going to take dallas......i will......with shawn bradley being finals mvp with a record 7 blocks per game....

            (while i'm dreaming a corvette would be nice too).....

            bob chaikin
            bchaikin@...
          • Gary Collard
            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 21, 2003
              aaronkoo wrote:

              > Well, these are the results that I was curious to get. People favor
              > a team with a lower record -- the Kings. The team with the co-best
              > record, Dallas, doesn't get respect. Does anyone know what the Vegas
              > line was at the start of the playoffs?

              The one I checked late last week had SA and Sac at 2/1, the Lakers at
              2.25/1, and Dallas at 4.5/1.

              > What are people seeing?

              Dallas' 2-8 record against those three teams? (games without Shaq and
              Duncan ignored).

              To be honest, I wonder why Dallas was so low at 4.5/1, I think that the 3
              elite teams make up *at least* 95% of the probability.

              Has a poor defense, horrible rebounding, jump shooting team ever won the
              title? I can't think of one, but I could be forgetting somebody.

              One more thought on the Mavs - earlier in the year we discussed the wisdom
              of the Mavs expending so much energy in the regular season, particularly
              early. Not sure how much play it got nationwide, but the Mavs complained
              after every game of being a very tired team from the end of March forward.
              So I think we got our answer to that question.

              --
              Gary Collard
              SABR-L Moderator
              Message 6 of 23 , Apr 21, 2003
                >> Well, these are the results that I was curious to get. People favor
                >> a team with a lower record -- the Kings. The team with the co-best
                >> record, Dallas, doesn't get respect. Does anyone know what the Vegas
                >> line was at the start of the playoffs?
                >
                >The one I checked late last week had SA and Sac at 2/1, the Lakers at
                >2.25/1, and Dallas at 4.5/1.

                [...]

                >To be honest, I wonder why Dallas was so low at 4.5/1, I think that the 3
                >elite teams make up *at least* 95% of the probability.

                Yeah they ARE getting 95% of the probability and more, too much more.
                Let's convert those odds into probabilities:

                SA: .333
                Sac .333
                LAL .308
                Dal .182
                ----
                Sum 1.156

                Those oddsmakers have set mathematically impossible odds. Of course with
                betting there has to be some sort of "vig" or margin for the oddsmakers to
                make money off of, but even if the next 4 playoff contenders are 19-1
                longshots, the sum of the resulting probabilities is creating a pretty fat
                margin in excess of 1.0.

                >Has a poor defense, horrible rebounding, jump shooting team ever won the
                >title? I can't think of one, but I could be forgetting somebody.

                People have listed a number of reasons why Dallas is so unfavored, but I
                think this is by far the most important reason. Forget the won-loss or
                head-to-head records; what does a championship team look like? Pretty
                much like a team which has the opposite characteristics of the Mavericks,
                while still having about the same won-loss record.

                That's why the Spurs get my vote too. The Lakers are not hitting on all
                cylinders yet (and beating up on the TWolves doesn't count), though I
                grant that they're probably about tied for 2nd best chance at the
                championship. The Kings are not as extreme as the Mavs but share their
                high-scoring ways (remember that great playoff series last year between
                the Kings and Mavs? Most entertaining playoff series in a long while,
                too bad we knew that the high-flying winner would likely be brought down
                to earth by a playoff opponent playing the currently dominant slowdown
                NBA style.) The Spurs in contrast to the Kings and Mavs have the shape
                of a late 20th/early 21st century NBA champion: dominant MVP caliber
                player inside (or alternatively have Michael Jordan on your team), defensive
                capabilities, and enough offensive firepower in the supporting cast.

                --MKT
              • aaronkoo
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 21, 2003
                  wrote:
                  > aaronkoo wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Well, these are the results that I was curious to get. People
                  favor
                  > > a team with a lower record -- the Kings. The team with the co-
                  best
                  > > record, Dallas, doesn't get respect. Does anyone know what the
                  Vegas
                  > > line was at the start of the playoffs?
                  >
                  > The one I checked late last week had SA and Sac at 2/1, the Lakers
                  at
                  > 2.25/1, and Dallas at 4.5/1.

                  Not following odds very much, shouldn't they when converted to
                  percentages, add up to something less than or equal to 1? These sum
                  up to 1.16. Is that because these are a guess (from memory)?

                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 21, 2003
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 21, 2003
                      > Not following odds very much, shouldn't they when converted to
                      > percentages, add up to something less than or equal to 1? These sum
                      > up to 1.16. Is that because these are a guess (from memory)?
                      >
                      > DeanO

                      Nope, because they you have bankrupt bookmakers.
                    • Gary Collard
                      Message 10 of 23 , Apr 22, 2003
                        aaronkoo wrote:

                        > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Gary Collard <collardg@e...>
                        > wrote:
                        > > aaronkoo wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Well, these are the results that I was curious to get. People
                        > favor
                        > > > a team with a lower record -- the Kings. The team with the co-
                        > best
                        > > > record, Dallas, doesn't get respect. Does anyone know what the
                        > Vegas
                        > > > line was at the start of the playoffs?
                        > >
                        > > The one I checked late last week had SA and Sac at 2/1, the Lakers
                        > at
                        > > 2.25/1, and Dallas at 4.5/1.
                        > >

                        > Not following odds very much, shouldn't they when converted to
                        > percentages, add up to something less than or equal to 1? These sum
                        > up to 1.16. Is that because these are a guess (from memory)?

                        The Dallas could be wrong, the others are right (can't find them archived
                        in a quick look), but what you are seeing here is that there is a lot of
                        vig/juice on these kinds of bets.

                        --
                        Gary Collard
                        SABR-L Moderator
                        Message 11 of 23 , Apr 22, 2003
                          pretty standard for futures/horse racing type bets, to have 1.5% or so per
                          runner, again, otherwise, no money to bet made...

                          > The Dallas could be wrong, the others are right (can't find them archived
                          > in a quick look), but what you are seeing here is that there is a lot of
                          > vig/juice on these kinds of bets.
                          >
                          > --
                        • aaronkoo
                          Message 12 of 23 , Apr 23, 2003
                            --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Scott" <rnmscott@b...>
                            wrote:
                            > pretty standard for futures/horse racing type bets, to have 1.5% or
                            so per
                            > runner, again, otherwise, no money to bet made...

                            I never really thought about this stuff. How do they make their
                            money on point spread bets? (Is there any bias in point spreads that
                            we as researchers need to account for?)

                            The line on the first LA-Min game was LA favored by 1. I didn't see
                            it on the 2nd game. I'd think that if these point spreads aren't
                            biased, we could get at what Vegas really thinks the odds are.

                            DeanO
                          • schtevie2003
                            Message 13 of 23 , Apr 23, 2003
                              --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "aaronkoo"
                              <deano@r...> wrote:
                              > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Scott"
                              <rnmscott@b...>
                              > wrote:
                              > > pretty standard for futures/horse racing type bets, to have
                              1.5% or
                              > so per
                              > > runner, again, otherwise, no money to bet made...
                              > > >

                              > I never really thought about this stuff. How do they make their
                              > money on point spread bets? (Is there any bias in point
                              spreads that
                              > we as researchers need to account for?)
                              >
                              > The line on the first LA-Min game was LA favored by 1. I didn't
                              see
                              > it on the 2nd game. I'd think that if these point spreads aren't
                              > biased, we could get at what Vegas really thinks the odds are.
                              >
                              > DeanO

                              As I understand it, point spread bets - like all lines - are all
                              biased in the sense that they do not purport to represent
                              expected outcomes. They are instead designed to ensure that
                              there is equal action on both sides, thereby minimizing the
                              bookmakers risk. Thus, they are unbiased only to the degree
                              that the able and willing bettors' perceptions are unbiased.
                            • Medea's Child
                              Message 14 of 23 , Apr 23, 2003
                                --- schtevie2003 <schtevie@...> wrote:
                                > As I understand it, point spread bets - like all
                                > lines - are all
                                > biased in the sense that they do not purport to
                                > represent
                                > expected outcomes. They are instead designed to
                                > ensure that
                                > there is equal action on both sides, thereby
                                > minimizing the
                                > bookmakers risk. Thus, they are unbiased only to
                                > the degree
                                > that the able and willing bettors' perceptions are
                                > unbiased.

                                I'm hardly an expert gambler, but I believe this is
                                correct: the ideal situation for a bookmaker (at
                                least, from a risk perspective) is a heavy volume of
                                betting equal on both sides, with the bookmaker
                                assured of a profit from the "vig". If a specific
                                team is popular, it could conceivably give an extra
                                point or two in order to encourage betting on the
                                other side.

                                Medea's Child

                                http://search.yahoo.com
                              • aaronkoo
                                Message 15 of 23 , Apr 23, 2003
                                  --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Medea's Child
                                  <medeas_child@y...> wrote:
                                  > --- schtevie2003 <schtevie@h...> wrote:
                                  > > As I understand it, point spread bets - like all
                                  > > lines - are all
                                  > > biased in the sense that they do not purport to
                                  > > represent
                                  > > expected outcomes. They are instead designed to
                                  > > ensure that
                                  > > there is equal action on both sides, thereby
                                  > > minimizing the
                                  > > bookmakers risk. Thus, they are unbiased only to
                                  > > the degree
                                  > > that the able and willing bettors' perceptions are
                                  > > unbiased.
                                  > >

                                  > I'm hardly an expert gambler, but I believe this is
                                  > correct: the ideal situation for a bookmaker (at
                                  > least, from a risk perspective) is a heavy volume of
                                  > betting equal on both sides, with the bookmaker
                                  > assured of a profit from the "vig". If a specific
                                  > team is popular, it could conceivably give an extra
                                  > point or two in order to encourage betting on the
                                  > other side.

                                  So then, the line reflects the betting public at large's opinion of
                                  who will win, assuming that they are only trying to maximize profit
                                  (and that bets based on pure emotion are rare enough to be ignored).
                                  Right? The opening line may reflect a more expert opinion?

                                  What's a "vig"?
                                • Medea's Child
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Apr 23, 2003
                                    I *believe* that the below is more or less correct
                                    (but, unfortunately, I can't provide a cite).

                                    However much the opening line looks like a prediction
                                    (Lakers by "x", Kings by "y", etc), as I understand
                                    it, it's really designed to keep betting roughly equal
                                    on both sides. That keeps profits up and risks down.
                                    (I suppose that a bookmaker stands to make more if
                                    more money is bet on the losing side, however, he's
                                    then at risk if more money is bet on one side, and
                                    that side WINS. If the money is equally balanced on
                                    both sides, it's a guaranteed profit for the
                                    bookmaker.

                                    "Vig" is short for Vigorish, the fee/commission paid
                                    to the bookmaker. This, I *can* provide a cite for:

                                    http://www.professionalgambler.com/vigorish.html

                                    To repeat, I'm not a sports bettor, just someone who
                                    did a little bit of reading, once, how sports betting
                                    works.

                                    Medea's Child

                                    --- aaronkoo <deano@...> wrote:
                                    > So then, the line reflects the betting public at
                                    > large's opinion of
                                    > who will win, assuming that they are only trying to
                                    > maximize profit
                                    > (and that bets based on pure emotion are rare enough
                                    > to be ignored).
                                    > Right? The opening line may reflect a more expert
                                    > opinion?
                                    >
                                    > What's a "vig"?

                                    http://search.yahoo.com
                                  • schtevie2003
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Apr 23, 2003
                                      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "aaronkoo" <deano@r...> wrote:
                                      > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Medea's Child
                                      > <medeas_child@y...> wrote:
                                      > > --- schtevie2003 <schtevie@h...> wrote:
                                      > > > As I understand it, point spread bets - like all
                                      > > > lines - are all
                                      > > > biased in the sense that they do not purport to
                                      > > > represent
                                      > > > expected outcomes. They are instead designed to
                                      > > > ensure that
                                      > > > there is equal action on both sides, thereby
                                      > > > minimizing the
                                      > > > bookmakers risk. Thus, they are unbiased only to
                                      > > > the degree
                                      > > > that the able and willing bettors' perceptions are
                                      > > > unbiased.
                                      > > >

                                      > > I'm hardly an expert gambler, but I believe this is
                                      > > correct: the ideal situation for a bookmaker (at
                                      > > least, from a risk perspective) is a heavy volume of
                                      > > betting equal on both sides, with the bookmaker
                                      > > assured of a profit from the "vig". If a specific
                                      > > team is popular, it could conceivably give an extra
                                      > > point or two in order to encourage betting on the
                                      > > other side.
                                      >
                                      > So then, the line reflects the betting public at large's opinion of
                                      > who will win, assuming that they are only trying to maximize profit
                                      > (and that bets based on pure emotion are rare enough to be ignored).
                                      > Right? The opening line may reflect a more expert opinion?
                                      >
                                      > What's a "vig"?

                                      More precisely, the opening line reflects the bookmaker's perception of
                                      what the betting public's expenditure-weighted average opinion is, and
                                      this opinion could be dumb or smart. As to the sporting events where
                                      there is more dumb money, I think these are well known to bookmakers,
                                      and aren't rare enough to be ignored. If I correctly recall overheard
                                      discussions on the matter, the Super Bowl draws in fools where regular-
                                      season NBA basketball games, say, don't. Accordingly, games where
                                      there is apt to be little action - again, say your average regular
                                      season game - the opening line can be thought to better reflect an
                                      unbiased expectation of the game outcome.

                                      As to what a vig is, that is the 10% that the loser (?) pays to the
                                      bookmaker.
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Apr 23, 2003
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Apr 23, 2003
                                          aaronkoo wrote:

                                          > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Scott" <rnmscott@b...>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > > pretty standard for futures/horse racing type bets, to have 1.5% or
                                          > so per
                                          > > runner, again, otherwise, no money to bet made...
                                          > > >

                                          > I never really thought about this stuff. How do they make their
                                          > money on point spread bets? (Is there any bias in point spreads that
                                          > we as researchers need to account for?)

                                          The vig on point spreads is (traditionally, now it is 5-8% at many books)
                                          10%, so the bettor will win 100 or lose 110, for example. If the bookmaker
                                          takes 10 of these bets on each side, he will pay one group 1000 and collect
                                          from the other 1100, a profit of 100. Of course the action is usually
                                          unbalanced, but you see the concept.

                                          There are definitely biases in spreads, things that will move them toward a
                                          team and away from another include popularity, current form, historical
                                          factors, etc. An example of a historical factor is that playoff teams down
                                          0-1 tend to cover game 2, thus for example New Jersey was 7 the first game
                                          but after a win dropped to 6 the second game.

                                          > The line on the first LA-Min game was LA favored by 1. I didn't see
                                          > it on the 2nd game. I'd think that if these point spreads aren't
                                          > biased, we could get at what Vegas really thinks the odds are.

                                          LAL opened at 1 and closed at 2 or 2.5 on Sunday. After looking so good,
                                          they opened 2 and colsed at mostly 3.5 the second game, despite the ternd
                                          noted above not many wanted any part of Min. Rest assured that the books
                                          enjoyed that game more than the most ardent Laker hater :)

                                          --
                                          Gary Collard
                                          SABR-L Moderator
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Apr 23, 2003
                                            schtevie2003 wrote:

                                            > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "aaronkoo"
                                            > <deano@r...> wrote:
                                            > > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Scott"
                                            > <rnmscott@b...>
                                            > > wrote:
                                            > > > pretty standard for futures/horse racing type bets, to have
                                            > 1.5% or
                                            > > so per
                                            > > > runner, again, otherwise, no money to bet made...
                                            > > > >

                                            > > I never really thought about this stuff. How do they make their
                                            > > money on point spread bets? (Is there any bias in point
                                            > spreads that
                                            > > we as researchers need to account for?)
                                            > >
                                            > > The line on the first LA-Min game was LA favored by 1. I didn't
                                            > see
                                            > > it on the 2nd game. I'd think that if these point spreads aren't
                                            > > biased, we could get at what Vegas really thinks the odds are.
                                            > >
                                            > > DeanO
                                            >
                                            > As I understand it, point spread bets - like all lines - are all
                                            > biased in the sense that they do not purport to represent
                                            > expected outcomes. They are instead designed to ensure that
                                            > there is equal action on both sides, thereby minimizing the
                                            > bookmakers risk. Thus, they are unbiased only to the degree
                                            > that the able and willing bettors' perceptions are unbiased.

                                            This is absolutely true, they are set to do some combination of balancing
                                            action, limiting risk, and beating professional/big money bettors or "wise
                                            guys." A common misperception is that if Dallas is favored by 6 tonight
                                            that means that "Vegas" (really the Carribean and Australia these days,
                                            Vegas has lost most if its influence) thinks that Dallas is 6 points
                                            better. That is not necessarily true, although it is oftimes close.

                                            --
                                            Gary Collard
                                            SABR-L Moderator
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Apr 23, 2003
                                              aaronkoo wrote:

                                              > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Medea's Child
                                              > <medeas_child@y...> wrote:
                                              > > --- schtevie2003 <schtevie@h...> wrote:
                                              > > > As I understand it, point spread bets - like all
                                              > > > lines - are all
                                              > > > biased in the sense that they do not purport to
                                              > > > represent
                                              > > > expected outcomes. They are instead designed to
                                              > > > ensure that
                                              > > > there is equal action on both sides, thereby
                                              > > > minimizing the
                                              > > > bookmakers risk. Thus, they are unbiased only to
                                              > > > the degree
                                              > > > that the able and willing bettors' perceptions are
                                              > > > unbiased.
                                              > > >

                                              > > I'm hardly an expert gambler, but I believe this is
                                              > > correct: the ideal situation for a bookmaker (at
                                              > > least, from a risk perspective) is a heavy volume of
                                              > > betting equal on both sides, with the bookmaker
                                              > > assured of a profit from the "vig". If a specific
                                              > > team is popular, it could conceivably give an extra
                                              > > point or two in order to encourage betting on the
                                              > > other side.
                                              >
                                              > So then, the line reflects the betting public at large's opinion of
                                              > who will win, assuming that they are only trying to maximize profit
                                              > (and that bets based on pure emotion are rare enough to be ignored).
                                              > Right? The opening line may reflect a more expert opinion?

                                              The first move after the opener is probably the most "expert" opinion. The
                                              less informed, "public" action on a game tedns to come in reltively close
                                              to game time, while pros hit the early lines (overnights in the case of
                                              basketball).

                                              --
                                              Gary Collard
                                              SABR-L Moderator
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Apr 23, 2003
                                                schtevie2003 wrote:

                                                > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "aaronkoo" <deano@r...> wrote:
                                                > > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, Medea's Child
                                                > > <medeas_child@y...> wrote:
                                                > > > >

                                                > > > I'm hardly an expert gambler, but I believe this is
                                                > > > correct: the ideal situation for a bookmaker (at
                                                > > > least, from a risk perspective) is a heavy volume of
                                                > > > betting equal on both sides, with the bookmaker
                                                > > > assured of a profit from the "vig". If a specific
                                                > > > team is popular, it could conceivably give an extra
                                                > > > point or two in order to encourage betting on the
                                                > > > other side.
                                                > >
                                                > > So then, the line reflects the betting public at large's opinion of
                                                > > who will win, assuming that they are only trying to maximize profit
                                                > > (and that bets based on pure emotion are rare enough to be ignored).
                                                > > Right? The opening line may reflect a more expert opinion?
                                                > >
                                                > > What's a "vig"?
                                                >
                                                > More precisely, the opening line reflects the bookmaker's perception of
                                                > what the betting public's expenditure-weighted average opinion is, and
                                                > this opinion could be dumb or smart. As to the sporting events where
                                                > there is more dumb money, I think these are well known to bookmakers,
                                                > and aren't rare enough to be ignored. If I correctly recall overheard
                                                > discussions on the matter, the Super Bowl draws in fools where regular-
                                                > season NBA basketball games, say, don't. Accordingly, games where
                                                > there is apt to be little action - again, say your average regular
                                                > season game - the opening line can be thought to better reflect an
                                                > unbiased expectation of the game outcome.

                                                This is true. Football, and particularly pro football, is where the common
                                                fan has the most influence over the line. Regular season basketball is bet
                                                mostly by more sophisticated players, with the playoffs and particularly
                                                the NCAA tourney becoming a bit more "public."

                                                A good discussion of opening lines written by a friend of mine is at
                                                http://www.whocovers.com/cgi-bin/showarticle.cgi?name=ar5

                                                --
                                                Gary Collard
                                                SABR-L Moderator
                                                Message 23 of 23 , May 11 5:38 AM
                                                  I don't think that your vote is an outlier in any standard statistical sense; we know that the mean and median vote is in the 60-70% range, and your 55% vote puts you in the category just below that. Two voters, in the 80-90% range, are located two categories distant from the mean and median range.