More Sports Economics

  • Dean Oliver <deano@rawbw.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1, 2003
      Rod Fort is a sports economist up at Washington State and is reputed
      to be one of the best around. For those looking to do some economics
      of sports, he actually has a lot of resources on his website

      http://users.pullman.com/rodfort/SportsBusiness/BizFrame.htm

      He's got attendance, the fan cost index, income and expenses, etc.
      It's definitely a nice little resource for those interested.

      Rod is also a longtime baseball fan and member of SABR, so he's not
      just an economics guy. He's also a Caltech grad like me, so I'm
      hoping to convince him to be interested in some hoops.

      He has particularly done a ton on competitive balance, primarily in
      baseball (even testifying in Congress, I believe). We have addressed
      it a bit here and, frankly, I recently mentioned what MikeG did to
      him with minutes played because I haven't seen it approached that
      way. I haven't heard back, but, MikeG, your stuff may get put under
      a microscope. Some of Rod's work on this matter may be a bit
      technical, but I encourage you to take a look at what he has here:

      http://users.pullman.com/rodfort/Academic/Academic.html