RE: [APBR_analysis] Re: Trades!

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 24, 2003

      From: bchaikin@... [mailto:bchaikin@...]
      Sent: Thursday, February 20, 2003 10:22 PM
      To: APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Trades!

       are seattle fans of the opinion that barry will be playing the point the rest of the year with ollie or someone else being the backup? if that's the case, can anyone think of a player in the entire history of basketball that has played the SG position for as long as barry has (7 years) that has then moved successfully over to the PG spot? i can't think of anyone offhand......makes me believe it won't be possibly....

      [Michael Tamada]  Jerry West went from a 30-point per game scorer to a league-leading assist man (who still got 25 ppg) when Gail Goodrich joined him in the backcourt.

      on the other hand brent barry's stats show him to be a "poor man's" PG, a player who shoots about as often as a PG does (only 1/5 of all his ball possessions) and passes the ball 2/3 of the time he touches it, typical for a PG, but his touches/min are way low for a starting PG. this should be most interesting...

      [Michael Tamada] Yes, this reprises the discussion we had earlier this year, or maybe it was last year, about whether Brent can play PG.  He's been remarkably efficient with the ball, but my belief is that's because he's not asked to do too much with it, except hit open 3-pointers and open men.  When forced to play PG fulltime, I think his efficiency will drop markedly.  With Payton and Anderson gone however, it's quite possible that he's the Sonics best PG now.  Which is not to say that he'll be a good one.  I hope he will, but I'm skeptical.