Who will win this year?

  • Dean Oliver <deano@rawbw.com>
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 24, 2003
      Time to get a straw poll of who will win the NBA title this year.
      This isn't about pride in getting it right (or money) so much as
      understanding the general consensus. It _seems_ that most people
      aren't picking the Mavs over the Lakers and the Kings, but I'd like
      to get people's official picks as of this intermediate time.

      Make this a gut feel pick as of this time. No need to do any more
      analysis than you already may have done.

      Thanks.

      DeanO
    • igorkupfer@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 24, 2003
        > Time to get a straw poll of who will win the NBA title this year.
        > This isn't about pride in getting it right (or money) so much as
        > understanding the general consensus. It _seems_ that most people
        > aren't picking the Mavs over the Lakers and the Kings, but I'd like
        > to get people's official picks as of this intermediate time.
        >
        > Make this a gut feel pick as of this time. No need to do any more
        > analysis than you already may have done.

        My gut says the Spurs.

        ed
      • john wallace craven
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 24, 2003
          On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 igorkupfer@... wrote:

> [...]

          I just don't see it... mine is going with the Kings. The Spurs are still
          awfully thin, even in terms of front-line starter value, which will, I
          think, come around to hurt them come playoff time. The Mavs are getting
          better defensively, but still aren't there yet, and the Lakers, I think,
          will get bounced out by one of the teams that they'll lose out in home
          court advantage to. That leaves the Kings, who combine a very balanced
          offensive attack (so that it won't sputter if one guy gets shut down like
          the Lakers or Spurs) with very good defense.

          John Craven
        • Dean Oliver <deano@rawbw.com>
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 24, 2003
            --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, john wallace craven > > My gut
            says the Spurs.

            > I just don't see it... mine is going with the Kings. The Spurs are
            still
            > awfully thin, even in terms of front-line starter value, which
            will, I

            What do you mean by "thin" since it could mean "depth", which we've
            talked about as possibly a less important factor in the playoffs.
          • John Hollinger <alleyoop2@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 24, 2003
              Kings over Mavs, but it will be much closer than last year. (I know a
              team from the East technically gets to play in the "Finals", but for
              all practical purposes the winner of the West gets the trophy).

              --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Oliver <deano@r...>"
              <deano@r...> wrote:

              > Time to get a straw poll of who will win the NBA title this year.
              > This isn't about pride in getting it right (or money) so much as
              > understanding the general consensus. It _seems_ that most people
              > aren't picking the Mavs over the Lakers and the Kings, but I'd like
              > to get people's official picks as of this intermediate time.
              >
              > Make this a gut feel pick as of this time. No need to do any more
              > analysis than you already may have done.
              >
              > Thanks.
              >
              > DeanO
            • Ed Weiland
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 25, 2003
                --- "Dean Oliver <deano@...>" <deano@...>
                wrote:

                > Time to get a straw poll of who will win the NBA
                > title this year.
                > This isn't about pride in getting it right (or
                > money) so much as
                > understanding the general consensus. It _seems_
                > that most people
                > aren't picking the Mavs over the Lakers and the
                > Kings, but I'd like
                > to get people's official picks as of this
                > intermediate time.
                >
                > Make this a gut feel pick as of this time. No need
                > to do any more
                > analysis than you already may have done.

                Gut feel? Portland. It's been that way all season for
                me. Almost certain to be wrong, but that's my gut
                feeling.

                Ed

                http://taxes.yahoo.com/
              • Mike G <msg_53@hotmail.com>
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 25, 2003
                  > --- "Dean Oliver <deano@r...>" <deano@r...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Time to get a straw poll of who will win the NBA
                  > > title this year.

                  Since competition in the west is so fierce, I'll take another tack
                  and pick the Pistons. I have no idea why.

                  It's interesting how some among us think the Mavs have little chance
                  against the Kings or Lakers. Apparently, just because they haven't
                  done it Yet.

                  When I first got online 3 or 4 years ago, every NBA discussion room
                  was Filled with comments like "the Lakers will be swept, as
                  usual", "Kobe and Shaq will never be winners", etc, etc.

                  Within a year, it was dynasty talk.

                  Going back even further, there was no way the Blazers would beat the
                  Sixers (until they did); or that anyone could beat the Lakers in the
                  west (except that the Rockets did, twice); or that the Pistons would
                  never get past the Celtics, the Bulls past the Pistons, etc.

                  I've heard 'we all knew the Lakers would win again', and they did;
                  but didn't they totally luck out the 1st and 3rd time ?

                  I for one don't know until it has happened.

                  As for whether I'd bet on a team with 2 superstars vs. a team with 9
                  good players, I don't think there's any natural reason to favor one
                  over the other. If your superstar has a bad game, you lose. The
                  Lakers have gotten few bad games at critical times from their Big 2.
                  That will be reproven or disproven, whether it's a done deal.
                • john wallace craven
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 25, 2003
                    On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Dean Oliver <deano@...> wrote:

                    > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, john wallace craven > > My gut
                    > says the Spurs.
                    > >
                    > > I just don't see it... mine is going with the Kings. The Spurs are
                    > still
                    > > awfully thin, even in terms of front-line starter value, which
                    > will, I
                    >
                    > What do you mean by "thin" since it could mean "depth", which we've
                    > talked about as possibly a less important factor in the playoffs.

                    I agree that 1st line to 2nd line depth is not all that important come
                    playoff time. The kind of thinness that I see on the Spurs is a lack of
                    people who can do multiple things in a basketball game even on the first
                    string. Tim Duncan can create in the post, rebound, play defense, and do a
                    lot of other things to help his team, but in order for the Spurs to
                    succeed in the playoffs, they're going to have to have some of their
                    one-dimensional players (Steve Smith, Bruce Bowen) add another dimension,
                    so to speak.

                    John Craven