Re: [APBR_analysis] Trades!

  • john wallace craven
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 20, 2003
      On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, monepeterson <mone@...> wrote:

      > Payton and Mason to Milwaukee for Ray Allen (and some other guys).
      > Payton's free this year.

      Don't forget Kenny Anderson for Elden Campbell, giving the Sonics their
      best center since Sam Perkins.

      > Initial reaction: What the hell are the Bucks thinking?
      >
      > What do you folks think?

      Well, I'm sorry to see GP go, but Ray Allen... wow.

      John Craven
    • igorkupfer@rogers.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 20, 2003
        > > Payton and Mason to Milwaukee for Ray Allen (and some other guys).
        > > Payton's free this year.
        >
        > Don't forget Kenny Anderson for Elden Campbell, giving the Sonics their
        > best center since Sam Perkins.
        >

        > > Initial reaction: What the hell are the Bucks thinking?
        > >
        > > What do you folks think?
        >
        > Well, I'm sorry to see GP go, but Ray Allen... wow.

        And the new starting point guard.... Kevin Ollie? Or is Barry going to start there?
      • Dean Oliver <deano@rawbw.com>
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 20, 2003
          --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, <igorkupfer@r...> wrote:

          > > On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, monepeterson <mone@s...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > Payton and Mason to Milwaukee for Ray Allen (and some other
          guys).
          > > > Payton's free this year.
          > >
          > > Don't forget Kenny Anderson for Elden Campbell, giving the Sonics
          their
          > > best center since Sam Perkins.
          > >

          > > > Initial reaction: What the hell are the Bucks thinking?
          > > >
          > > > What do you folks think?
          > >
          > > Well, I'm sorry to see GP go, but Ray Allen... wow.
          > >

          > And the new starting point guard.... Kevin Ollie? Or is Barry going
          to start there?

          The Sonics Yahoo Group absolutely hates this trade, interestingly, in
          part because I don't think anyone realized that Brent is intended to
          play point. Brent's dad thinks that Brent can put up Gary-like
          numbers "in the right situation", whatever that is. If Ollie had to
          take all of Gary's minutes, clearly this would not be a good trade.
          I think a lot of Sonic fans were getting used to the idea of having
          lots of cap space to try to lure someone.

          I do work for the Sonics, so I think we did ok. Options weren't
          great. New blood helps when fans are losing interest. I can't say
          too much beyond that.

          DeanO
        • john wallace craven
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 20, 2003
            On Thu, 20 Feb 2003 igorkupfer@... wrote:

> [...]

            I would imagine that Barry will move over to the 1, and will be backed up
            by:

            a. Kevin Ollie
            b. Ansu Sesay (Nate was using him as a point forward earlier in the
            season)
            c. a re-signed Randy Livingston

            Rick Barry said that his son could run the point for Seattle better than
            Payton. I don't believe that for a second, but now I guess we get to see
            how far the old granny-shooter was off the mark...

            John Craven
          • harlanzo <harlanzo@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 20, 2003
              --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, john wallace craven
              <john1974@u...> wrote:

              > I would imagine that Barry will move over to the 1, and will be
              backed up
              > by:
              >
              > a. Kevin Ollie
              > b. Ansu Sesay (Nate was using him as a point forward earlier in the
              > season)
              > c. a re-signed Randy Livingston
              >
              > Rick Barry said that his son could run the point for Seattle
              better than
              > Payton. I don't believe that for a second, but now I guess we get
              to see
              > how far the old granny-shooter was off the mark...

              2002-03 is academic for the sonics. payton was gone after the year
              regardless, how can you get better value for the sonics than ray
              allen? hell, re-signing gp would be counter productive to
              rebuilding anyway. the real question is why the bucks would make
              this trade. i can understand from a historical perspective why this
              would hurt a seattle fan (GP is the franchise best player) but it's
              better than rotting with him through his decline years. the real
              question is whether the sonics could've signed someone better than
              ray allen with cap room. beside kidd (who was not going to seattle)
              and maybe brand this is maximizing the sonics return. who cares
              about the point now, worry about that next year.
            • bchaikin@aol.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 20, 2003

                are seattle fans of the opinion that barry will be playing the point the rest of the year with ollie or someone else being the backup? if that's the case, can anyone think of a player in the entire history of basketball that has played the SG position for as long as barry has (7 years) that has then moved successfully over to the PG spot? i can't think of anyone offhand......makes me believe it won't be possibly....

                on the other hand brent barry's stats show him to be a "poor man's" PG, a player who shoots about as often as a PG does (only 1/5 of all his ball possessions) and passes the ball 2/3 of the time he touches it, typical for a PG, but his touches/min are way low for a starting PG. this should be most interesting...

                as for getting ray allen, i think seattle hit the jackpot. payton's been in the league a dozen years, allen half that time. allen has got to be the best pure shooter from a guard spot in the league over the past 3 or so years (for SGs that shoot alot, like 15+ FGA/g), and while he's no bryant or mcgrady, he's the best of the 2nd tier...

                wonder if karl is thinking he can play payton and cassell together. cassell has been complaining about both his playing time and not having the ball enough, this should also be quite interesting if he ends up sitting most of the time with redd getting the minutes...

                bob chaikin
                bchaikin@...

              • Mike G <msg_53@hotmail.com>
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 21, 2003
                  > ... can anyone think of a player in the entire history of
                  basketball that has
                  > played the SG position for as long as barry has (7 years) that has
                  then moved
                  > successfully over to the PG spot?

                  Dennis Johnson?

                  > as for getting ray allen, i think seattle hit the jackpot.

                  Ray Allen's numbers have declined noticeably since the run at the
                  Finals almost 2 years ago. He had his first injury spell last year
                  and hasn't really recovered.

                  Then again, the Bucks have historically been a goldmine for the
                  Sonics, in trades. Eh ?
                • bchaikin@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 21, 2003

                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 21, 2003
                      .....can anyone think of a player in the entire history of basketball that has played the SG position for as long as barry has (7 years) that has then moved successfully over to the PG spot?

                      Dennis Johnson?

                      excellent example - i just can't think of many others similar.....DJ was a pure pg by the time he was established in bos, and wasn't prior, and that was actually longer than barry (8 years)....the only difference i see though compared to brent barry is that barry's not going to have anywhere near the excellent passing teammates that DJ had in bos (unless there's more trades). it'll be interesting to see, if barry plays 38 min/g again, what % of time he spends at pg versus SG, i.e. if he can handle playing the entire game at pg, and if not who will be playing the pg spot....

                      as for getting ray allen, i think seattle hit the jackpot.

                      Ray Allen's numbers have declined noticeably since the run at the Finals almost 2 years ago.  He had his first injury spell last year and hasn't really recovered.

                      are we talking about the same ray allen? over the past 3 seasons i see a player with very consistent numbers, and at a fairly high level - eff FG% of 52%-56% during the 3 years, playing major minutes (37-38 min/g). he's one of the few players who has shown an increase in 3pt attempts per ball possession and at the same time increasing his eff FG%....

                      Then again, the Bucks have historically been a goldmine for the Sonics, in trades.  Eh ?

                      refering to vin baker, perhaps?...

                      bob chaikin
                      bchaikin@...

                    • Gary Collard
                      Message 10 of 23 , Feb 21, 2003
                        john wallace craven wrote:

                        > On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, monepeterson <mone@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Payton and Mason to Milwaukee for Ray Allen (and some other guys).
                        > > Payton's free this year.
                        >
                        > Don't forget Kenny Anderson for Elden Campbell, giving the Sonics their
                        > best center since Sam Perkins.

                        On the one day a week he plays hard, yeah :)

                        --
                        Gary Collard
                        SABR-L Moderator

                        "The other day I walked into a pawn shop, and I found that I couldn't
                        turn around until I had advanced all the way to the other end of the
                        store and promoted myself to queen."
                        -- Chris Lipe
                      • Mike G <msg_53@hotmail.com>
                        Message 11 of 23 , Feb 21, 2003
                          > ... ray allen? over the past 3 seasons i see a
                          > player with very consistent numbers, and at a fairly high level -
                          eff FG% of
                          > 52%-56% during the 3 years, playing major minutes (37-38 min/g).
                          he's one of
                          > the few players who has shown an increase in 3pt attempts per ball
                          possession
                          > and at the same time increasing his eff FG%....

                          I don't have my digested stats here, but it looks like Allen has been
                          shooting more while playing fewer minutes, each of the last 3 years:

                          yr min. fga. pct. 3fga pct fta pct
                          01 38.2 16.0 .480 5.7 .432 4.8 .888
                          02 36.6 16.6 .462 7.7 .434 3.5 .873
                          03 35.8 17.1 .437 6.6 .395 4.2 .913

                          Last year, he shot a lot more 3s and fewer FT, from the previous year.
                          This year, fewer and less accuracy on the 3s. More FT, but not as
                          many as in '01. Ray's scoring game is not off all that much from 2
                          years ago.

                          The rest of his game, however, has seemingly declined:

                          yr pts. reb ast stl blk
                          01 22.0 5.2 4.6 1.5 .2
                          02 21.8 4.5 3.9 1.3 .3
                          03 21.3 4.6 3.5 1.2 .2

                          The slight decline in scoring is commensurate with the reduced
                          minutes. Yet he's needed more shots to get his 21 ppg, and doesn't
                          own the well-rounded stat line he once did.

                          Rather than leading the 2nd-tier of guards (behind Kobe and TMac),
                          he's now closer to the Allan Houston/Eddie Jones level, behind
                          Francis and Iverson.

                          In other words, he'll have to get some game back to return to the
                          allstar game.

                          > Then again, the Bucks have historically been a goldmine for the
                          Sonics, in
                          > trades. Eh ?
                          >
                          > refering to vin baker, perhaps?...
                          >
                          > bob chaikin
                          > bchaikin@b...
                        • john wallace craven
                          Message 12 of 23 , Feb 21, 2003
                            On Fri, 21 Feb 2003 bchaikin@... wrote:

                            > are seattle fans of the opinion that barry will be playing the point the rest
                            > of the year with ollie or someone else being the backup? if that's the case,
                            > can anyone think of a player in the entire history of basketball that has
                            > played the SG position for as long as barry has (7 years) that has then moved
                            > successfully over to the PG spot? i can't think of anyone offhand......makes
                            > me believe it won't be possibly....

                            For the record, I don't think he's going to do a great job, either. I also
                            think he's trade bait at the end of the season. As I've said elsewhere,
                            look for Seattle to acquire Jamal Crawford or Jason Terry in the
                            offseason. Both are local products, and both, I think, would do well with
                            a big SG like Allen beside them.

                            > on the other hand brent barry's stats show him to be a "poor man's" PG, a
                            > player who shoots about as often as a PG does (only 1/5 of all his ball
                            > possessions) and passes the ball 2/3 of the time he touches it, typical for a
                            > PG, but his touches/min are way low for a starting PG. this should be most
                            > interesting...
                            >
                            > as for getting ray allen, i think seattle hit the jackpot. payton's been in
                            > the league a dozen years, allen half that time. allen has got to be the best
                            > pure shooter from a guard spot in the league over the past 3 or so years (for
                            > SGs that shoot alot, like 15+ FGA/g), and while he's no bryant or mcgrady,
                            > he's the best of the 2nd tier...

                            Yeah... when all the rumors the past couple years have been pointing to a
                            GP for Wally Z or Mike Miller or Sam Cassell, it blew my mind that the
                            team got Ray Allen back. Desmond Mason was a real loss, but even that's
                            mitigated by the draft pick (which could become Atlanta's, depending on
                            how the Knicks-Bucks trade works out).

                            John Craven

                            > wonder if karl is thinking he can play payton and cassell together. cassell
                            > has been complaining about both his playing time and not having the ball
                            > enough, this should also be quite interesting if he ends up sitting most of
                            > the time with redd getting the minutes...
                            >
                            > bob chaikin
                            > bchaikin@...

                          • john wallace craven
                            Message 13 of 23 , Feb 21, 2003
                              On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Gary Collard wrote:

                              > john wallace craven wrote:
                              > >
                              > > On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, monepeterson <mone@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > > Payton and Mason to Milwaukee for Ray Allen (and some other guys).
                              > > > Payton's free this year.
                              > >
                              > > Don't forget Kenny Anderson for Elden Campbell, giving the Sonics their
                              > > best center since Sam Perkins.
                              >
                              > On the one day a week he plays hard, yeah :)

                              True, but Kenny Anderson may be the one player in the league who is a
                              bigger clubhouse cancer than Campbell.

                              John Craven
                            • Al Hoffman
                              Message 14 of 23 , Feb 21, 2003
                                bchaikin@... wrote:
                                ...  can anyone think of a player in the entire history of  basketball that has played the SG position for as long as barry has (7 years) that has then moved successfully over to the PG spot?

                                Dennis Johnson?
                                Although he & Gus were more of 1 and 1A in terms of the point... kind of (not exactly but kind of) like Nixon & Magic

                              • john wallace craven
                                Message 15 of 23 , Feb 21, 2003
                                  On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Al Hoffman wrote:

                                  > bchaikin@... wrote:
                                  >
                                  > > /... can anyone think of a player in the entire history of
                                  > > basketball that has played the SG position for as long as barry has (7
                                  > > years) that has then moved successfully over to the PG spot?
                                  > >
                                  > > Dennis Johnson?
                                  > > /
                                  >
                                  > Although he & Gus were more of 1 and 1A in terms of the point... kind of
                                  > (not exactly but kind of) like Nixon & Magic

                                  Well... as far as that goes, Barry played 10-15 minutes a night at the 1
                                  the past couple seasons anyway. So it's not *quite* the same thing as a
                                  pure 2-guard taking over the slot.

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 21, 2003
                                    <john1974@u...> wrote:

                                    > On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Al Hoffman wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > bchaikin@a... wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > /... can anyone think of a player in the entire history of
                                    > > > basketball that has played the SG position for as long as
                                    barry has (7
                                    > > > years) that has then moved successfully over to the PG spot?
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Dennis Johnson?
                                    > > > /

                                    In his seventh year, philly moved jeff hornacek to the point because
                                    they did not really have one and their two best players were
                                    hornacek and hawkins (another 2 guard). Horny put up 19.1 ppg and
                                    6.9 apg his assist to to was 2.45-1. they put barros at the point
                                    the next year and hornacek was traded to utah with stockton.
                                  • harlanzo <harlanzo@yahoo.com>
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 21, 2003

                                      > barry has (7

                                      I guess the other thing is that their are plenty of guys who played
                                      the point with the offense running through another players: dumars
                                      with Grant Hill in detroit, ron harper played the point with mj and
                                      pippen and later in LA, doug christie in toronto when vince and
                                      mcgrady handled the ball, and vinny del negro in SA for a year (93-
                                      94).
                                    • bchaikin@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 21, 2003

                                        hornacek's numbers show he was a pure PG his 1st two seasons in the league (in 86-87 and then in 87-88 with KJ and humphries), passing the ball over 70% of the time he had it, shooting less than 20% of the time, moved over to SG the next 2 seasons when KJ blossomed...

                                        to his credit he played SG most of hs career because he could shoot so well, but still  managed to pass the ball 55%-60% of the time he had it, high for a 2 guard, hornacek was one of the few guards comfortable at either position...

                                        in 92-93 hornacek played both guard spots for the 76ers, playing pg when hawkins was in the game and sg when dawkins was in the game. in 87-88 and 92-93 hornacek had very simlar touches/min (1.46 and 1.50) but he actually shot less and passed more in 87-88 compared to 92-93.....

                                        bob chaikin
                                        bchaikin@...
                                      • bchaikin@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 21, 2003
                                          I guess the other thing is that their are plenty of guys who played the point with the offense running through another players: dumars with Grant Hill in detroit, ron harper played the point with mj and pippen and later in LA, doug christie in toronto when vince and mcgrady handled the ball, and vinny del negro in SA for a year (93-94).

                                          the grant hill example is perfect. i remember when the EA basketball simulation came out in the mid-1990s, and watching the game simulate detroit and watching players like dumars and lindsey hunter bringing the ball up the court almost every possession, when in reality hill brought the ball up most possessions...

                                          also craig hodges was a shooting specialist for the mid 80s bucks when pressey played point forward (moncrief was the sg)...

                                          bob chaikin
                                          bchaikin@...

                                        • John Hollinger <alleyoop2@yahoo.com>
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Feb 21, 2003
                                            Jeff Hornacek for a year in Philly. He made the All-Star team too.

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Feb 24, 2003
                                              Indeed, one big difference is that Magic and Nixon were at heart, both point guards whereas Gus and DJ were at heart both shooting guards, at least during the Sonics phase of their careers.

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Feb 24, 2003

                                                 are seattle fans of the opinion that barry will be playing the point the rest of the year with ollie or someone else being the backup? if that's the case, can anyone think of a player in the entire history of basketball that has played the SG position for as long as barry has (7 years) that has then moved successfully over to the PG spot? i can't think of anyone offhand......makes me believe it won't be possibly....

                                                [Michael Tamada]  Jerry West went from a 30-point per game scorer to a league-leading assist man (who still got 25 ppg) when Gail Goodrich joined him in the backcourt.

                                                on the other hand brent barry's stats show him to be a "poor man's" PG, a player who shoots about as often as a PG does (only 1/5 of all his ball possessions) and passes the ball 2/3 of the time he touches it, typical for a PG, but his touches/min are way low for a starting PG. this should be most interesting...

                                                [Michael Tamada] Yes, this reprises the discussion we had earlier this year, or maybe it was last year, about whether Brent can play PG.  He's been remarkably efficient with the ball, but my belief is that's because he's not asked to do too much with it, except hit open 3-pointers and open men.  When forced to play PG fulltime, I think his efficiency will drop markedly.  With Payton and Anderson gone however, it's quite possible that he's the Sonics best PG now.  Which is not to say that he'll be a good one.  I hope he will, but I'm skeptical.