Re: And while I'm at it...

  • Dean Oliver <deano@rawbw.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 18, 2003
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "dlirag <dlirag@h...>" > a
      conceptual
      > > problem with my approach that I'm overlooking. (Here's one: since
      > missed shots usually
      > > result in an offensive board 30% of the time, they can't possibly
      > be worth -1 with
      > > regards to a possession. But why does -1 give good results? I
      don't
      > know.)
      >
      > Would -0.7 per missed FGA give better results?

      There's not a lot of solid guidance on what the weights should be.
      If all you want are better results -- "better" is a personal
      decision, so you can try it and see whether the results
      are "better". Whether you also account for some teams rebounding
      only 20% of their misses and other teams rebounding close to 40% is a
      question. And if you modify the weight on missed FGA, should you
      also modify the weight on offensive rebounds?