Re: [APBR_analysis] Digest Number 66

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 2001
      On Sat, 30 Jun 2001, Robert Bradley wrote:

      > And my take on the Suns' side of the trade -

      [...]

      > 2. The off-the-court issues may have bothered Jerry Colangelo as much
      > as the on-the-court problems. JC considers personal behavior very
      > important, and that's a big reason why Charles Barkley was eventually
      > sent packing as well (same with Walter Davis, Oliver Miller, Richard
      > Dumas, Clifford Robinson, etc.).

      To me, this is the only reason that makes a sort of sense. On the court,
      I'd take Kidd over Marbury in a heartbeat. But Phoenix has seemed to be
      highly sensitive to character issues, ever since that 1980s scandal where
      half the team was involved with drugs and about 11/12 of them were traded
      or waived within a year or two (my hazy recollection is that Hornacek was
      the only survivor, and this was before he became a good NBA player).

      I'm not saying it's a good move for Phoenix, I don't think it is, but the
      other reasons for trading Kidd for Marbury do not make sense to me.

      [...]

      > What will it take for this club to be successful next year? Getting a
      > contribution from Tom Gugliotta and Penny Hardaway would be a good

      Yes, as far as on-the-court action goes, those are the keys to
      improvement for the Suns, not Kidd nor Marbury.