Re: Dilution, balance, and Bob-bashing

  • Kevin Pelton <kpelton08@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 9, 2003
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Oliver <deano@r...>"
      <deano@r...> wrote:
      > Charlie Rosen is an interesting character. He may end up getting
      > sued for libel for his book the Wizard of Odds, the book on Jack
      > Molinas and gambling. There are a lot of people who really don't
      > trust him. He has ended up doing work for ESPN and some people are
      > bitter at that since he supposedly blends fact and fiction without
      > much consideration. I don't know much about him at all, but the
      > flak that has been associated with him is hard to miss.

      I particularly enjoyed Rosen's article on the Sonics where he watched
      one game (one of the worst of the year, for what it's worth) and
      acted like he knew something about the team. Apparently, Desmond
      Mason can't make a jumper because he had one bad night.

      > Did anyone else read the article on Stanley Roberts? I didn't
      > realize that Roberts was seen as the same caliber prospect as Shaq
      > back at LSU, which is what the SI article seems to imply. My
      > memory definitely has Shaq always more bally-hooed.

      I had the same reaction to the article as you. Roberts was certainly
      a disappointment, but I think there was just a tad bit of hyperbole
      by the author. (Not that I would _ever_ do such a thing!)
    • John Hollinger <alleyoop2@yahoo.com>
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 11, 2003
        > I particularly enjoyed Rosen's article on the Sonics where he
        watched
        > one game (one of the worst of the year, for what it's worth) and
        > acted like he knew something about the team. Apparently, Desmond
        > Mason can't make a jumper because he had one bad night.

        Put me firmly in the "pompous windbag" camp. The best thing about the
        Mason comment, for instance, was that Rosen said the reason Mason
        can't make a jumper was his "low release point", which was hilarious
        on several levels:

        1) Apparently he's never watched Steve Kerr. Or Andrew Toney. Or
        Bryce Drew. Or about a hundred other guys who shoot from under their
        chin but make everything.

        2) Mason's release point isn't low, especially given that he's about
        20 feet off the ground when he shoots it.

        3) Mason's problem isn't the release point, it's the lack of arc on
        his shot.