Re: Dilution, balance, and Bob-bashing

  • harlanzo <harlanzo@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 9, 2003
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Oliver <deano@r...>"
      <deano@r...> wrote:

      > Charlie Rosen is an interesting character. He may end up getting
      > sued for libel for his book the Wizard of Odds, the book on Jack
      > Molinas and gambling. There are a lot of people who really don't
      > trust him. He has ended up doing work for ESPN and some people
      are
      > bitter at that since he supposedly blends fact and fiction without
      > much consideration. I don't know much about him at all, but the
      flak
      > that has been associated with him is hard to miss.

      Rosen definitely comes across as an eccentric who is unreliable.
      however, if anyone would exagerate the good old days it would be
      him. thus, if he admits that defensive sets were simpler in those
      days i think it lends credence to the idea.

      > Interesting that Shaq is now considered as not very nimble. He
      was
      > definitely considered quick, athletic, and agile for a long time.
      > think the injuries and the general perception that he is so much
      > bigger than everyone else has negated the perception that he is
      > quick. And he definitely isn't as quick as he once was.
      >
      > Did anyone else read the article on Stanley Roberts? I didn't
      > realize that Roberts was seen as the same caliber prospect as Shaq
      > back at LSU, which is what the SI article seems to imply. My
      memory
      > definitely has Shaq always more bally-hooed. Roberts did outplay
      him
      > their one year together, but Shaq scared people in how talented he
      > was. Roberts was just a very good center.

      I read the roberts article and i remember them (with chris
      jackson/abdul-rauf) in 90-91. they played a crazy game against
      loyola marymount with bo kimble and hank gathers that ended up like
      170-165. they never did much besides this. lsu was eliminated by
      georgia tech in the second round. if i recall, even back then
      people knew shaq would be better. he was being hyped more than
      roberts but people thought roberts would be good but he ended
      getting fat and flunking out. if i recall the stats the two big men
      had equal stats that first year but shaq really started busting out
      soon afterwards.

    • John Hollinger <alleyoop2@yahoo.com>
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 11, 2003
        > I particularly enjoyed Rosen's article on the Sonics where he
        watched
        > one game (one of the worst of the year, for what it's worth) and
        > acted like he knew something about the team. Apparently, Desmond
        > Mason can't make a jumper because he had one bad night.

        Put me firmly in the "pompous windbag" camp. The best thing about the
        Mason comment, for instance, was that Rosen said the reason Mason
        can't make a jumper was his "low release point", which was hilarious
        on several levels:

        1) Apparently he's never watched Steve Kerr. Or Andrew Toney. Or
        Bryce Drew. Or about a hundred other guys who shoot from under their
        chin but make everything.

        2) Mason's release point isn't low, especially given that he's about
        20 feet off the ground when he shoots it.

        3) Mason's problem isn't the release point, it's the lack of arc on
        his shot.