Re: [APBR_analysis] Nets trades: Why (again)?

  • Jim Hekel
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2001
      I'm confused about your concerns with these deals. New
      Jersey has made themselves 100 percent improved. Kidd
      over Marbury, if that's the deal, is a no-brainer.
      Kidd is a better player, all-around, and is not a
      cancer in the locker room. He will make the Nets much
      better. The three lower first-round picks may seem
      like a steal by the end of the year. Give it a chance.
      Eddie Griffin, I'm told is soft and doesn't like to
      work. He's been compared to Coleman, loads of talent,
      but little desire. Jim Hekel, Rowley, Iowa.

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • harlanzo@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2001
        --- In APBR_analysis@y..., Jim Hekel <jhekel@y...> wrote:
        > I'm confused about your concerns with these deals. New
        > Jersey has made themselves 100 percent improved. Kidd
        > over Marbury, if that's the deal, is a no-brainer.
        > Kidd is a better player, all-around, and is not a
        > cancer in the locker room. He will make the Nets much
        > better. The three lower first-round picks may seem
        > like a steal by the end of the year. Give it a chance.
        > Eddie Griffin, I'm told is soft and doesn't like to
        > work. He's been compared to Coleman, loads of talent,
        > but little desire. Jim Hekel, Rowley, Iowa.

        Let me start over with a little more specific complaints. You are
        correct that the difference between Kidd and Marbury (no matter which
        player you think is bettter) is not much. Griffin is also something
        of a personality risk.

        The 2000-01 Nets had a myriad of problems. The could not score and
        hand no inside post presence, especially on defense. Given these
        needs, the team had to make some changes. However, the changes are
        not the ones I would have made. Let's first take the Griffin trade.
        I have no problem trading Griffin. However, the trade did not
        maximize, at all, the value of the pick. The Nets picked up
        Jefferson (probably a pretty good player) and Collins and B.
        Armstrong. The Nets, by their own admission, had Collins pegged as a
        second round pick and Armstrong is projected as a backup guard.
        These are things that could be picked for basically nothing. Thus
        the trade turned into the seventh pick for the 13th (i think) and a
        couple of picks that could've been gotten for future secound rounders
        or a player like Jamie Feick. In fact, most teams with multiple
        first round picks are willing to give up the late ones for very
        little because the percentage chance of the player being an impact
        player is low and the salary cap implications can make the fringe
        player more effort than is worth for the team to keep. Thus, I would
        submit that Griffin, if you want to trade him, could've fetched more
        value (ie an established inside banger and/or a shooter).

        As for the Kidd/Marbury debate, I prefer Marbury. Let's state both
        of their strengths and weaknesses. First Marbury. Marbury is a bit
        surly with teammates, he tends to be a shoot-first point guard, and
        he voiced some unhappiness about being on a losing team. Marbury is
        a bit ornery but not in the Derrick Coleman or Gary Payton way where
        he can tear a team apart. Rather, he seemed a bit annoyed that guys
        like Mcilvaine sucked and that Van Horn was passive. This is not a
        good thing but it is a little bit overblown. The shoot-first
        criticism is also overblown. Yeah marbury is a bit of a hog. But I
        would remind you that (1) most great players are, and (2) who the
        heck can you pass to when you have Eschmeyer and Lucious Harris on
        the wing. On Marbury's plus side is his exlposive scoring and he has
        made some players better (look at Dean GArrett/cherokee parks stats
        with marbury and without him). Also, Marbury is only 24 years old.
        Conventional wisdom tells us that players improve until 27 0r 28 and
        then decline. This could tell us that the best, with Marbury, is yet
        to come. This is the type of player the Nets need. One with high
        upside who can be identified with the nets and could be in a position
        to help the next good nets team.

        Kidd is a great player. He is the best passer since Magic and
        possibly the second or third best passer since 1984 (I give this year
        because it was when my basketball cognizance first began). He
        definitely makes his teammates better and he seems like an ok guy
        from his teammates perspective (even though he has had some problems
        off the court). Kidd probably might be more helpful to a good team
        right now than Marbury would. However, the Nets will not be a good
        team right now. They still can't board, score or defend in the post,
        or shoot. Kidd will not make Lucious Harris or Eschmeyer appreciably
        better than they are right now. Also Kidd is 28 years old. This is
        not ancient but the Nets are a work in progress and they need to have
        a marquee player to lead the team 2 or 3 years from now. Yeah Kidd
        will still be great then but he probably won't be better than he is
        right now and Marbury probably will.

        I think the Nets best move would have been to trade Van Horn for a
        complementary player (I would've liked Shareef but would have
        accepted the package like the Jazz were offering) and seen if Rodney
        White wsa my power forward of the future. The upside of a future
        with a young Marbury and White and some players to replace Van Hron
        (who I like) with some good role players a la Oakley/Bryon
        Russell/etc. would've benefitted the Nets more in the long run.
      • Jim Hekel
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
          Wo, let's do some clarification here. I never said the
          difference between Marbury and Kidd is not much.
          Marbury is not in the same category of Kidd. Kidd is
          easily twice the player that Marbury could ever hope
          to be. He is a gunner, not a real point guard, and a
          cancer in the locker room. This deal was a steal for
          the Nets. Jim Hekel, Rowley, Iowa.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 3, 2001
            --- In APBR_analysis@y..., Jim Hekel <jhekel@y...> wrote:
            > Wo, let's do some clarification here. I never said the
            > difference between Marbury and Kidd is not much.
            > Marbury is not in the same category of Kidd. Kidd is
            > easily twice the player that Marbury could ever hope
            > to be. He is a gunner, not a real point guard, and a
            > cancer in the locker room. This deal was a steal for
            > the Nets. Jim Hekel, Rowley, Iowa.

            I never said that you thought the difference between Kidd and Marbury
            is very little. I meant that any form of objective analysis would
            yield the two players being very equal (in fact some favor MArbury).
            Given the fact that the two players are so close in value right now
            and the Nets will not likely win much in the near future it is better
            for the Nets to take the player with the higher upside. Kidd is
            already 28 and he most likely reached his peak while Marbury is only
            24 and his growth curve as a player would probably go up. (Indeed,
            look how much Kidd has improve since he was 24. In 1997-98, when he
            was 24, Kidd scored 11.6 ppg with 9.1 apg on 42% shooting.) Thus, if
            the Nets actually accrue depth over the next couple of years they are
            in a better position to captalize on it with Marbury who will almost
            certainly be better than Kidd 2 or 3 years from now.

            I understand the preference for a pure point guard like Kidd is. In
            fact he is the second or third best passer I have ever seen (I go
            back to 84). However, disdain for scoring point guards is not always
            fair as we can see that other score-first point guards (ie KJ,
            PAyton, Tim Hardaway) have led very good teams in the past. So,
            while your Kidd preference is certainly reasonbale, I think the Nets
            are better with MArbury.
          • Jim Hekel
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 4, 2001
              You're entitled to your opinion, but I think most NBA
              insiders are scratching their head on this one. If the
              Suns were so intent on trading the best point guard in
              the game, you would think they could get more than
              Marbury. This deal only makes sense if Phoenix also
              gets Van Horn or Kenyon Martin, or better yet, both.
              Marbury is a good example of a guy who's box score
              looks great, but it doesn't give a full picture of his
              value, or lack of the same. That's my opinion. Jim
              Hekel, Rowley, Iowa.

            • Al Hoffman
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 4, 2001
                harlanzo@... wrote:

                > I understand the preference for a pure point guard like Kidd is. In
                > fact he is the second or third best passer I have ever seen (I go
                > back to 84). However, disdain for scoring point guards is not always
                > fair as we can see that other score-first point guards (ie KJ,
                > PAyton, Tim Hardaway) have led very good teams in the past.

                Don't forget Isiah Thomas. He was also a scoring point early in his career.
                As Detroit's arc progressed and others emerged (Dantley, Dumars, etc...),
                his scoring curtailed. In fact, there is an anecdote in, IIRC, "The
                Franchise" by Cameron Stauth about Thomas being royally teed off after a
                playoff win over Chicago. Thomas had scored 40 points or so in a close win
                & Thomas said something like "if I have to score like this then we'll never
                win a championship." But Isiah is, to me, the prototype of a scoring PG
                who changed his game to win a title. Can Marbury do the same if his team
                gets closer to that level?

                Al
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 4, 2001
                  --- In APBR_analysis@y..., Jim Hekel <jhekel@y...> wrote:
                  > You're entitled to your opinion, but I think most NBA
                  > insiders are scratching their head on this one. If the
                  > Suns were so intent on trading the best point guard in
                  > the game, you would think they could get more than
                  > Marbury. This deal only makes sense if Phoenix also
                  > gets Van Horn or Kenyon Martin, or better yet, both.
                  > Marbury is a good example of a guy who's box score
                  > looks great, but it doesn't give a full picture of his
                  > value, or lack of the same. That's my opinion. Jim
                  > Hekel, Rowley, Iowa.

                  Not being an NBA Insider, but knowing a few people, I can say that
                  the league is pretty split on the trade. Statistically, fans are
                  definitely split, as I've seen polls on websites with a lot 51-49%
                  votes. That implies that the Suns could not have gotten more for
                  Kidd.

                  Some numbers from 2001:

                  . Scor. Poss. Floor RTG Points Game-by-Game
                  Player Poss. . Pct. . Prod. Win% Win Loss
                  Marbury 760 1507 0.505 108.7 1639 0.552 37 30
                  Kidd 711 1484 0.479 102.1 1516 0.623 48 29

                  . Def Stops Def. Net Net Net
                  Player Total /Min /Poss Rtg. Win% W L
                  Marbury 399 0.156 0.404 107.2 0.557 7.5 6.0
                  Kidd 654 0.213 0.541 95.5 0.753 11.0 3.6

                  Net Pts/48M
                  v1 v2
                  Marbury 0.4 10.9
                  Kidd 1.6 5.7

                  Marbury is the better offensive player right now (not in or before
                  '99). Kidd is the better defensive player. Marbury is a more
                  volatile player, less predictable (hence the discrepancy between my
                  two versions of Net Points per 48 minutes).

                  Kidd has always had a better defensive rating than Marbury. Kidd is
                  part of the reason the Suns were a very good defensive team this
                  year. Other reasons were Coach Skiles and Shawn Marion. Since both
                  of those guys are still there (so far), the Suns should again be
                  pretty good defensively. That will make Marbury's offense much more
                  valuable. I think the concern is that the Suns' offense was pretty
                  weak even with Kidd -- will it get worse with Marbury trying to take
                  people one-on-one?

                  New Jersey does have some potential weapons for Kidd to go to, but no
                  one who could really be a star. The new draftees/tradees may work
                  out ok. Kidd has been known to breathe life into forwards who run
                  the floor -- McDyess and Marion are good examples -- so maybe he'll
                  do it with Jason Collins. Maybe he'll do it with Van Horn, but I
                  have my doubts about that guy. If NJ can form a defense around Kidd,
                  Van Horn, Collins, and SOMEONE (NJ is a frustrating franchise), they
                  can get up to 30-35 wins next year. As much as I like Byron Scott,
                  I'm not convinced that he can form that good D.

                  I look at the trade as pretty close to a wash. My initial reaction
                  was that the Nets won out slightly. If I have to give an edge now,
                  though, I'd give it to Phoenix.