Re: Dilution, balance, and Bob-bashing

  • Dean Oliver <deano@rawbw.com>
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 9, 2003
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "harlanzo <harlanzo@y...>"
      <harlanzo@y...> wrote:
      > I am reluctant to bring this up because it seems like the whole
      > comparing eras discussion is finally dying down but i read old-
      timer
      > charley rosen on espn. here is his take on defenses and how they

      I don't think the cross-generational comparison will die down for
      good. It's just hard to make progress with it.

      Charlie Rosen is an interesting character. He may end up getting
      sued for libel for his book the Wizard of Odds, the book on Jack
      Molinas and gambling. There are a lot of people who really don't
      trust him. He has ended up doing work for ESPN and some people are
      bitter at that since he supposedly blends fact and fiction without
      much consideration. I don't know much about him at all, but the flak
      that has been associated with him is hard to miss.

      Interesting that Shaq is now considered as not very nimble. He was
      definitely considered quick, athletic, and agile for a long time. I
      think the injuries and the general perception that he is so much
      bigger than everyone else has negated the perception that he is
      quick. And he definitely isn't as quick as he once was.

      Did anyone else read the article on Stanley Roberts? I didn't
      realize that Roberts was seen as the same caliber prospect as Shaq
      back at LSU, which is what the SI article seems to imply. My memory
      definitely has Shaq always more bally-hooed. Roberts did outplay him
      their one year together, but Shaq scared people in how talented he
      was. Roberts was just a very good center.

      DeanO
    • John Hollinger <alleyoop2@yahoo.com>
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 11, 2003
        > I particularly enjoyed Rosen's article on the Sonics where he
        watched
        > one game (one of the worst of the year, for what it's worth) and
        > acted like he knew something about the team. Apparently, Desmond
        > Mason can't make a jumper because he had one bad night.

        Put me firmly in the "pompous windbag" camp. The best thing about the
        Mason comment, for instance, was that Rosen said the reason Mason
        can't make a jumper was his "low release point", which was hilarious
        on several levels:

        1) Apparently he's never watched Steve Kerr. Or Andrew Toney. Or
        Bryce Drew. Or about a hundred other guys who shoot from under their
        chin but make everything.

        2) Mason's release point isn't low, especially given that he's about
        20 feet off the ground when he shoots it.

        3) Mason's problem isn't the release point, it's the lack of arc on
        his shot.