Re: Dilution, balance, and Bob-bashing

  • John Hollinger <alleyoop2@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 6, 2003
      I have Murphy rated with a PER of 14.41, which is slightly below the
      league average of 15.00, and I don't think anyone can argue that he's
      a defensive stopper who has value beyond his stats. He's a decent
      player, but not someone I'd expect to show up in the top ten in a
      league category -- thus, my note of surprise.

      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Mike G <msg_53@h...>"

      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 11, 2003
        > I particularly enjoyed Rosen's article on the Sonics where he
        watched
        > one game (one of the worst of the year, for what it's worth) and
        > acted like he knew something about the team. Apparently, Desmond
        > Mason can't make a jumper because he had one bad night.

        Put me firmly in the "pompous windbag" camp. The best thing about the
        Mason comment, for instance, was that Rosen said the reason Mason
        can't make a jumper was his "low release point", which was hilarious
        on several levels:

        1) Apparently he's never watched Steve Kerr. Or Andrew Toney. Or
        Bryce Drew. Or about a hundred other guys who shoot from under their
        chin but make everything.

        2) Mason's release point isn't low, especially given that he's about
        20 feet off the ground when he shoots it.

        3) Mason's problem isn't the release point, it's the lack of arc on
        his shot.