Re: Dilution, balance, and Bob-bashing

  • Mike G <msg_53@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 6, 2003
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "John Hollinger
      >... This year, there's one in the top 10 in rebounding, and nobody
      even
      > thinks he's any good (Troy Murphy)

      Well, I know of at least one Warriors fan who knows Murphy is good;
      and I have him ranked in the top 90.

      His coach might think so, too, since he is getting 32 minutes on a
      team with a strong frontcourt.

      What I didn't know is that he is white...

      >... There decline has been slower and steadier than it looks if we
      pool
      > players in our memory from a certain era

      Good point, I was rattling off names from memory. And yet in the
      list comparing 1977 to 2002, what really shocked me was the current
      lack of 2nd- and 3rd-tier WhAm players. There are very few WhAms
      even on the benches of the NBA!

      -- but it's there, and I'm
      > not sure random chance can explain it all.

      I really think it's a general trend, and that it starts at the
      playground level. When games are exclusively-black, white guys don't
      have much chance to learn the latest moves, the ones that may boost
      their confidence to continue in this game. It seems they work on
      other projects, seeing a ceiling on their development.
    • John Hollinger <alleyoop2@yahoo.com>
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 11, 2003
        > I particularly enjoyed Rosen's article on the Sonics where he
        watched
        > one game (one of the worst of the year, for what it's worth) and
        > acted like he knew something about the team. Apparently, Desmond
        > Mason can't make a jumper because he had one bad night.

        Put me firmly in the "pompous windbag" camp. The best thing about the
        Mason comment, for instance, was that Rosen said the reason Mason
        can't make a jumper was his "low release point", which was hilarious
        on several levels:

        1) Apparently he's never watched Steve Kerr. Or Andrew Toney. Or
        Bryce Drew. Or about a hundred other guys who shoot from under their
        chin but make everything.

        2) Mason's release point isn't low, especially given that he's about
        20 feet off the ground when he shoots it.

        3) Mason's problem isn't the release point, it's the lack of arc on
        his shot.