Re: Dilution, balance, and Bob-bashing

  • monepeterson <mone@sigma.net>
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 2, 2003
      I agree with just about everything you've said, but I have a question
      on one issue.

      > However, the Celtics,
      > proponents of a run and gun style, were actually a pretty
      > mediocre offensive team (and in fact, by my measurement, they
      > were in one championship year a below average offensive team

      Do you mind sharing, at least in general terms, what your measurement
      is? Although I haven't done it, I imagine looking at modern team
      points per possession, with and without offensive rebounds and
      turnovers, would lead to some signficant discrepancies. Is there
      another way of guesstimating this?

      Moné
    • John Hollinger <alleyoop2@yahoo.com>
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 11, 2003
        > I particularly enjoyed Rosen's article on the Sonics where he
        watched
        > one game (one of the worst of the year, for what it's worth) and
        > acted like he knew something about the team. Apparently, Desmond
        > Mason can't make a jumper because he had one bad night.

        Put me firmly in the "pompous windbag" camp. The best thing about the
        Mason comment, for instance, was that Rosen said the reason Mason
        can't make a jumper was his "low release point", which was hilarious
        on several levels:

        1) Apparently he's never watched Steve Kerr. Or Andrew Toney. Or
        Bryce Drew. Or about a hundred other guys who shoot from under their
        chin but make everything.

        2) Mason's release point isn't low, especially given that he's about
        20 feet off the ground when he shoots it.

        3) Mason's problem isn't the release point, it's the lack of arc on
        his shot.