Re: Dilution, balance, and Bob-bashing

  • harlanzo <harlanzo@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 2, 2003
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Mike G <msg_53@h...>"
      <msg_53@h...> wrote:
      > What do the following players have in common?: Larry Bird, Kevin
      > McHale, Kiki Vanderweghe, Jack Sikma, Bill Laimbeer, Bill Walton,
      > Issel, ... of course they are all white American players, from the
      > early '80s, and they were all better than any white American
      > today.
      > Would we suppose that in today's increased talent field, that
      > Bird would put up numbers no better than Brad Miller's? That
      > would be no more of an impact player than LaFrentz is?
      > I keep coming back to this issue, with deafening silence all
      > broken only by occasional questions to my motivation. I would
      > to know what motivates others here to continue ignoring this
      > situation.

      I guess you are wondering whether 1) fewer great white players may
      mean less quality in the league and 2) why are there fewer great
      american white players. there seem to fewer great white players but
      i think we need to look this over a little more before we draw any
      conclusions. guys like Bird and walton are hall of fame players any
      time and they don't come around too often. mchale was great too.
      but kiki and issel? they have van horns, and gugliotta who are

      asd for deeper question of the american white players disappearing,
      i don't know the numbers. but they were historically over
      represented in the league. so as the talent pool gets deeper its
      stands to reason is that they would be the first to contract in
      numbers. there was talk of many token white guys at the end of the
      bench to make the leaguge more paltable for white fans (barkley said
      this in philly about dave hoppen). it's possible that this no
      longer a concern as well. there are still plenty of very good white
      players in the last 10 years: (stockton, hornacek, van horn, gugs,
      laettner, mullin, the barry boys, price, chapman etc.) I don't
      think the fact that kiki and tripucka are gone indicates a loss of
      much to be honest with you. you're right that the issue should not
      be taboo but i think the answer simply is the talent pool correcting
      itself combined with random chance (that no new bird has arisen).
    • John Hollinger <alleyoop2@yahoo.com>
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 11, 2003
        > I particularly enjoyed Rosen's article on the Sonics where he
        > one game (one of the worst of the year, for what it's worth) and
        > acted like he knew something about the team. Apparently, Desmond
        > Mason can't make a jumper because he had one bad night.

        Put me firmly in the "pompous windbag" camp. The best thing about the
        Mason comment, for instance, was that Rosen said the reason Mason
        can't make a jumper was his "low release point", which was hilarious
        on several levels:

        1) Apparently he's never watched Steve Kerr. Or Andrew Toney. Or
        Bryce Drew. Or about a hundred other guys who shoot from under their
        chin but make everything.

        2) Mason's release point isn't low, especially given that he's about
        20 feet off the ground when he shoots it.

        3) Mason's problem isn't the release point, it's the lack of arc on
        his shot.