Re: Standard deviation,Part Two

  • Mike G <msg_53@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "John W. Craven"
      <john1974@u...> wrote:
      > Year FG% STDev STD% Notes
      > 1947 27.9 3.45 12.402

      > 2001 44.1 4.06 9.210 47.2 4.09 8.663

      John, I don't see anything here. Yes, the standard deviation
      approach sounds like it may have merit. But the lack of correlation
      with expansion seasons seems not to support the theory.

      > 3. What's up with the 1973-4 season?

      Completely wack. I'd check my math.

      > 6. I expected the 1990s to be quite a bit less competitive than
      the 1980s. Go figure.

      I think the league has gone downhill since the early or mid-'90s.
    • John W. Craven
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 1, 2003
        On Wed, 1 Jan 2003, Mike G <msg_53@...> wrote:

        > --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "John W. Craven"
        > <john1974@u...> wrote:
        > > Year FG% STDev STD% Notes
        > > 1947 27.9 3.45 12.402

        > > 2001 44.1 4.06 9.210 47.2 4.09 8.663
        >
        > John, I don't see anything here. Yes, the standard deviation
        > approach sounds like it may have merit. But the lack of correlation
        > with expansion seasons seems not to support the theory.

        I agree. I'll re-work this with something that takes into account foul shots, and then try to look at players with more shot attempts per year than 300.

        > > 3. What's up with the 1973-4 season?
        >
        > Completely wack. I'd check my math.

        I did, and it's still damn low. Note that the two years right afterward were also two of the lowest in the study.

        > > 6. I expected the 1990s to be quite a bit less competitive than
        > the 1980s. Go figure.
        >
        > I think the league has gone downhill since the early or mid-'90s.

        That's what I expected to see show up as well. I'll see if that trend shows up when I re-do this.

        John Craven
      • Dean Oliver <deano@rawbw.com>
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2003
          --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Mike G <msg_53@h...>"
          <msg_53@h...> wrote:
          > > 3. What's up with the 1973-4 season?
          >
          > Completely wack. I'd check my math.

          I've done competitive balance stuff before and seen all the
          economists' stuff, too. I believe that I and they also have this
          season being very competitive. I'll try to check soon.