Re: Dilution, balance, and Bob-bashing

  • Dean Oliver <deano@rawbw.com>
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 31, 2002
      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "Dean Oliver <deano@r...>"
      <deano@r...> wrote:
      > The standard approach is the Stratomatic approach -- If Team A
      > averages 4 possessions over the league average and Team B averages
      2
      > possessions over the league average, then Team A vs Team B will on
      > average be 6 possessions over the league average. This is roughly
      > comparable (on a first order differential basis) to the Adams-James
      > rule for evaluating how well a 0.300 hitter will do against a
      pitcher
      > who allows opponents to hit 0.300 in a league that averages 0.260.
      >
      > Mechanistically, I've never been sure that this is right. I'd be
      > curious if data exists to support this or whatever Bob says. I
      guess
      > I have the data, but never looked at it that way.

      Let me backtrack a little here. This is not necessarily how I'd "do
      it", as Bob says, or "simulate it". It depends on what the goal of
      the simulation was for. If I was trying to do a simple simulation of
      how many points teams would score, this is how I'd "do it". If I was
      trying to simulate the conditions under which Ron Harper could play
      with Michael Jordan and score 20 ppg, I'd only use this as a soft
      constraint on the results and focus on other inter-relational
      aspects. It might be a hard constraint, depending on the mechanism
      of simulation. I have different simulations for different studies.
      I haven't exactly designed a simulation for pure "fun" of simulating
      across generations.

      DeanO
    • John Hollinger <alleyoop2@yahoo.com>
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 11, 2003
        > I particularly enjoyed Rosen's article on the Sonics where he
        watched
        > one game (one of the worst of the year, for what it's worth) and
        > acted like he knew something about the team. Apparently, Desmond
        > Mason can't make a jumper because he had one bad night.

        Put me firmly in the "pompous windbag" camp. The best thing about the
        Mason comment, for instance, was that Rosen said the reason Mason
        can't make a jumper was his "low release point", which was hilarious
        on several levels:

        1) Apparently he's never watched Steve Kerr. Or Andrew Toney. Or
        Bryce Drew. Or about a hundred other guys who shoot from under their
        chin but make everything.

        2) Mason's release point isn't low, especially given that he's about
        20 feet off the ground when he shoots it.

        3) Mason's problem isn't the release point, it's the lack of arc on
        his shot.