Re: [APBR_analysis] Re: Territorial Rights

  • Gary Collard
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 11, 2002
      tamada2 wrote:

      > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...> wrote:
      > > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Mueller, Thomas" <mueller@c...> wrote:
      >
      > [...]
      >
      > > I'm pretty sure that NBA teams do not have the same strong rights
      > > that baseball teams do. I believe the Yankees can veto any New
      > > Jersey baseball team right across the river, even if every other
      > team
      > > wants it. I think basketball only needs a majority or 2/3 vote of
      > > owners to approve relocation or a new location.
      >
      > I have a vague recollection that when Donald Sterling moved the
      > Clippers from San Diego to Los Angeles, the NBA was against the move
      > but did not have the power or ability to stop him.

      I am pretty sure that the NBA is unable to prevent moves to a given
      location as is the NFL (see Davis, Al) due to the lack of an antitrust
      exemption. MLB, with no such restriction, is free to set (and break)
      territorial rights as they see fit.

      --
      Gary Collard
      SABR-L Moderator

      "It's an uphill battle. When you're trying to remain at the top,
      it always is."
      -- Lakers guard Derek Fisher, channeling Yogi Berra