Re: Territorial Rights

  • John Hollinger <alleyoop2@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
      That was a different situation because they were swallowing the ABA
      rather than siting an expansion team, so it wasn't like New York
      could 'veto' and tell them to put a team in Albuquerque instead...so
      the Knicks just whined and moaned until they got enough money to make
      them want to approve the deal.

      --- In APBR_analysis@yahoogroups.com, "harlanzo" <harlanzo@y...>
      wrote:
      > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...> wrote::
      > >>
      > > I'm pretty sure that NBA teams do not have the same strong rights
      > > that baseball teams do. I believe the Yankees can veto any New
      > > Jersey baseball team right across the river, even if every other
      > team
      > > wants it.
      >
      > I think the nets paid a fee to enter the NBA to the knicks. the
      > story goes that the fee put the nets on the brink of bankruptcy
      > causing the infamous trade of Dr. J to philly for 3 million bucks.
    • Al Hoffman
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 6, 2002
        John Hollinger wrote:
        That was a different situation because they were swallowing the ABA
        rather than siting an expansion team, so it wasn't like New York
        could 'veto' and tell them to put a team in Albuquerque instead...so
        the Knicks just whined and moaned until they got enough money to make
        them want to approve the deal.
        I think Earl Foreman got some $$$ back in '70 or '71 when the 1st merger agreement was being worked on to move his team from D.C. to Virginia.
      • Gary Collard
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 11, 2002
          tamada2 wrote:

          > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Dean Oliver" <deano@r...> wrote:
          > > --- In APBR_analysis@y..., "Mueller, Thomas" <mueller@c...> wrote:
          >
          > [...]
          >
          > > I'm pretty sure that NBA teams do not have the same strong rights
          > > that baseball teams do. I believe the Yankees can veto any New
          > > Jersey baseball team right across the river, even if every other
          > team
          > > wants it. I think basketball only needs a majority or 2/3 vote of
          > > owners to approve relocation or a new location.
          >
          > I have a vague recollection that when Donald Sterling moved the
          > Clippers from San Diego to Los Angeles, the NBA was against the move
          > but did not have the power or ability to stop him.

          I am pretty sure that the NBA is unable to prevent moves to a given
          location as is the NFL (see Davis, Al) due to the lack of an antitrust
          exemption. MLB, with no such restriction, is free to set (and break)
          territorial rights as they see fit.

          --
          Gary Collard
          SABR-L Moderator

          "It's an uphill battle. When you're trying to remain at the top,
          it always is."
          -- Lakers guard Derek Fisher, channeling Yogi Berra